GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC and Transmission Failure Warning on Start

BB-BABS

Driving the 2015 Golf GTI - 11k miles, had oil change at 8k

Have had no issues, until today. When I pressed the push start the electronics turned on, but the engine did not start. Dash and console display had the EPC and Transmission warning alerts.

What was even more odd is when I hit the push button, the car would not turn off! After 40 minutes of sitting in parking lot calling roadside assist it finally turned off when I pushed the button. Then I was able to turn the car back on and there were no more issues or warnings.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I am going to take it to dealer for a check to make sure nothing is wrong.

Mk620T

Ready to race!
EPC can be a lot of things (helpful right!), I've experienced anything from a defective throttle body (2.7t) to a bad abs sensor (mk7), but it's always related to electronics. Which isn't that bad since your under warranty - since you know it isn't actuallly mechanically broken.

I suppose if you look at the two codes in tandem it would lead you to an electronics malfunction related to your DSG. I've never had a dsg but I suppose it could be a messed up mechatronic unit. Maybe not though - one failed sensor like an abs sensor can cause your dash to light up like a Christmas tree!

Just take it in for service - they'll take care of it. Then let us know what it was!

Miguel1

Ready to race!

Have had no issues, until today. When I pressed the push start the electronics turned on, but the engine did not start. Dash and console display had the EPC and Transmission warning alerts.

What was even more odd is when I hit the push button, the car would not turn off! After 40 minutes of sitting in parking lot calling roadside assist it finally turned off when I pushed the button. Then I was able to turn the car back on and there were no more issues or warnings.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I am going to take it to dealer for a check to make sure nothing is wrong.

I got this error in the early miles of my car and it never came back since. Don't have any problems with the transmission or any other modules like the ABS and stuff like that. Only thing I do notice is when I'm on an incline or the transmission fluid isn't warmed up, my transmission "clunks" into gear.

Ireander

Hey there, so I know I am late to this thread but the exact thing just happened to my 2016 GTI(2000 miles). I was wondering what your outcome was?