GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine sputter in 4th gear

dmals

Passed Driver's Ed
Was on my way home last night and did a hard pull to pass a few cars and the epc light came on and was in limp mode. Felt the engine really shaking when I pulled over to restart the car. Epc light was gone and I was able to get home. This morning I was on the way to work and did a hard pull on an on ramp and felt the engine sputtering while in 4th gear. Won’t have access to pull the codes till Friday, but from what I have read this could be a coil pack and spark plug issue. Has anyone had this issue before? My 15 gti has been flashed with uni stage 1+.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Possibly bad gas, but like diggs said sounds like a spark plugs and or coil pack issue. I had similar problems before when I put a new set of brisk er12s in, I was getting spark blow out. Took me a while to figure it out but ended up being because I didn't have the plugs torgued down enough which I had never had the issue before. Check your plug gap and torque them down to 22ft lbs and see if it helps any.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
How long ago was it flashed? We have pretty crappy gas up here and my local shop really advised against 1+, so I just went with Uni 1. Runs great. No issues.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Why do they advise against the uni stage 1+?

Higher quality fuel / higher octane requirement for 1+ (higher boost than 1). Min for 1+ is 93 octane. Which we have only 1 choice for here, and it’s not great stuff.