GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emissions - no CEL from catted downpipe, spacer needed?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah but you said apr stg 2 disables downstream O2. It does not, that was all I was saying was wrong, didn't cut down the quote to be specific.

Re read how I worded it, I guess you can interpret it however you want, but since turns off the downstream o2 ability to trigger a CEL I’m not sure how that’s “wrong”.

Bottom line is APR stage 2 effects emissions testing so I’m not sure why you’re arguing semantics here.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Yeah but you said apr stg 2 disables downstream O2. It does not, that was all I was saying was wrong, didn't cut down the quote to be specific.

APR stage 2 test pipe file disables the O2 sensor (prevents P0420 cat efficiency CEL)
APR stage 2 non test pipe file does not disable the O2 sensor (does not prevent P0420 cat efficiency CEL)

Confirmed with APR directly.

Furthermore, with the APR stage 2 non test pipe file and an O2 spacer (Vibrant J), I was able to pass NY state emissions with ALL MONITORS "Ready"

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
^ crazy how hard this info is to come by. Curious when was this confirmed? Asked Arin on here not too long ago and he couldn't answer (prob due to EPA crap). Called the shop and was told they don't have the non-test pipe file for stage2. The shop advised me that i would need to flash it to Stage1 with a spacer in order to pass - i wonder if this is a business tactic - which is pretty fking sad! Too much of a hassle.

On my mk6 i had to load the non test pipe file with the spacer in order to pass.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
^ crazy how hard this info is to come by. Curious when was this confirmed? Asked Arin on here not too long ago and he couldn't answer (prob due to EPA crap). Called the shop and was told they don't have the non-test pipe file for stage2. The shop advised me that i would need to flash it to Stage1 with a spacer in order to pass - i wonder if this is a business tactic - which is pretty fking sad! Too much of a hassle.

On my mk6 i had to load the non test pipe file with the spacer in order to pass.

I confirmed this in June with APR directly prior to re-flashing, installing an O2 spacer and passing.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I see. I wonder if something changed between then and now.

In what sense? The non test pipe file is still available. I had my tune removed three weeks ago to troubleshoot something, the non test pipe file was re-flashed once we were done.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
APR stage 2 test pipe file disables the O2 sensor (prevents P0420 cat efficiency CEL)
APR stage 2 non test pipe file does not disable the O2 sensor (does not prevent P0420 cat efficiency CEL)

Confirmed with APR directly.

Furthermore, with the APR stage 2 non test pipe file and an O2 spacer (Vibrant J), I was able to pass NY state emissions with ALL MONITORS "Ready"

Well unless they changed the tunes since I passed emissions in 2017 that's not correct.

This reading is with the test pipe file, it does not disabled the O2 but it does disable the catalyst

You can pass emissions in many places with a readiness readout like this.

tapatalk_2079608273_360x640.jpeg

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Well unless they changed the tunes since I passed emissions in 2017 that's not correct.

This reading is with the test pipe file, it does not disabled the O2 but it does disable the catalyst

You can pass emissions in many places with a readiness readout like this.

View attachment 187724

They did not change their tunes.

What I posted above is accurate and confirmed to be accurate by APR, feel free to call them 1 (800) 680-7921

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well I just showed you a screenshot of an apr stage 2 test pipe file golf r with the O2 sensor active. So unless I'm missing something, apr is wrong (as their customer support has been hundreds of times in the past)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Well I just showed you a screenshot of an apr stage 2 test pipe file golf r with the O2 sensor active. So unless I'm missing something, apr is wrong (as their customer support has been hundreds of times in the past)

There are two O2 sensors, your screenshot would seem to confirm that your cat monitor can't read the downstream O2 sensor which it relies on to go "Ready"

This isn't rocket science.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
The cat check isn't done by a cat sensor... This monitor/check directly correlates to your downstream O2 sensor determining if your cat is performing as it should be.

The cat monitor needs to be "Ready" to pass in NY state

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The O2 sensor after the cat was giving me problems for months, and never read ready, then I replaced the downpipe for APR's pipe and it went to ready. Maybe you need all the fields to be ready in NY state but that has nothing to do with what APR's tune does to the rear O2 sensor (does not disable it, as evidenced by the first sentence of this post)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
The O2 sensor after the cat was giving me problems for months, and never read ready, then I replaced the downpipe for APR's pipe and it went to ready. Maybe you need all the fields to be ready in NY state but that has nothing to do with what APR's tune does to the rear O2 sensor (does not disable it, as evidenced by the first sentence of this post)

Counter to what you're saying, based on my own experience AND based on what APR told me, the software does disable the downstream O2 sensor if you are running the test pipe file.

So people have a choice, listen to you with your screenshot that shows your cat monitor can't read the O2 sensor and isn't "Ready" (which is a fail in a lot of states as this is REQUIRED to pass emissions) or listen to someone who confirmed this as a fact with the company who developed the tune AND has his own experience RECENTLY (June 2020) that aligns with what the manufacturer stated.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

even better on the mk6 you can switch tunes on your turn signal stalk and don't have to go to the APR dealer!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I always thought you were allowed one "fault" and you could still pass inspection.....at least here in MA. So that one sensor being off would be your one fault. We're about as commie as it gets so not sure if there are stricter guidelines out there? Maybe in NY or CA?

Kind of why I had bought the neuspeed cel free DP. Expensive but cat was good enough to not need to turn off that O2 sensor when tuning. Less headaches.