GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emissions - no CEL from catted downpipe, spacer needed?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
hey everyone,

Just want/need to check:

Apr stage 2
AWE cwtted downpipe, never have me any CEL.

I am aware atleast that to pass emissions i need to flash to the stock tune. But do i really need an 02 sensor spacer?

I have one... but it doesnt seem like it will fit. Its going to be interfering with the e-diff it looks like.

Any pointers?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Thanks, but that doesny really answer my question. That thread seems to be all about those who get CELs which i have not gotten any with no spacer.

What i need to know is, cltherefore, can i pass emissions like this? Or, is the spacer still needed because it will act like i do not have a hi flow cat

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If a scan shows "readiness" and you don't have a CEL you will pass emissions. As long as they don't do visual inspections where you are.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks, but that doesny really answer my question. That thread seems to be all about those who get CELs which i have not gotten any with no spacer.

What i need to know is, cltherefore, can i pass emissions like this? Or, is the spacer still needed because it will act like i do not have a hi flow cat

If you haven’t flashed back to stock yet you haven’t attempted to set readiness. APR stage 2 turns off the downstream o2 sensors function so you CANT get a CEL...based on your stating you knew you needed to flash back to stock I figured you knew that. Nobody has a crystal ball to tell you if your AWE is still sufficient to defeat CEL, you need to try it and then ask for help.

If you read the thread it thoroughly explains what a spacer is for and how it works as well as the fine print about your specific downpipe right in the opening statement.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
gotcha. FWIW, I was stage 1 when i put the DP on; Stage 1 does not defeat any CELs for downpipes to my knowledge.

I suppose i will just give it a try as is - flash to stock, drive for a while. If no CEL i will attempt emissions. If i fail, I will start effing around getting the spacer to fit. In the meantime, if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me, let me know!

Thanks Jake.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
gotcha. FWIW, I was stage 1 when i put the DP on; Stage 1 does not defeat any CELs for downpipes to my knowledge.

I suppose i will just give it a try as is - flash to stock, drive for a while. If no CEL i will attempt emissions. If i fail, I will start effing around getting the spacer to fit. In the meantime, if anyone else out there is in the same boat as me, let me know!

Thanks Jake.

Which APR Stage 2 tune do you have flashed?

There is a version of their Stage 2 tune that does not defeat the CEL/turn off the sensor and I was using this Stage 2 tune when I passed emissions (with a spacer installed, I had a CEL with APR's downpipe).

I am getting a down pipe for my mk7.5. Will any o2 spacer work? Does it matter the brand

It is not a sure thing, it varies. Most people have had luck with the Vibrant 11619 J spacer with <insert fitting size>

I've personally passed NY state emissions with an APR downpipe, this spacer and it's smallest fitting.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well, i didnt have time to order the straight spacer like advised in the linked thread so i put on an elbow spacer. Went on stock tune. It Kept setting codes, so i said F it and just swapped my stock downpipe on. Surprisingly it only took about 45 minutes to do! lol. Then, passed emissions NP

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Well, i didnt have time to order the straight spacer like advised in the linked thread so i put on an elbow spacer. Went on stock tune. It Kept setting codes, so i said F it and just swapped my stock downpipe on. Surprisingly it only took about 45 minutes to do! lol. Then, passed emissions NP

So now you're going to reinstall the downpipe and reflash? Haha

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yep. But i would have had to unflash/reflash either way. Honestly not too bad a job to swap downpipes once every two years i guess lol

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
If you haven’t flashed back to stock yet you haven’t attempted to set readiness. APR stage 2 turns off the downstream o2 sensors function so you CANT get a CEL...based on your stating you knew you needed to flash back to stock I figured you knew that. Nobody has a crystal ball to tell you if your AWE is still sufficient to defeat CEL, you need to try it and then ask for help.

If you read the thread it thoroughly explains what a spacer is for and how it works as well as the fine print about your specific downpipe right in the opening statement.

This is wrong. Apr stage 2 does not turn off the downstream O2 sensor. You can set O2 readiness but not catalyst readiness. If your state allows 1 incomplete to pass obd then you can get a sticker with the tune installed

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is wrong. Apr stage 2 does not turn off the downstream O2 sensor. You can set O2 readiness but not catalyst readiness. If your state allows 1 incomplete to pass obd then you can get a sticker with the tune installed

No stickers in my state.

Of course there’s no blanket statement that covers all 50 states regarding tunes/emissions

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
No stickers in my state.

Of course there’s no blanket statement that covers all 50 states regarding tunes/emissions

Yeah but you said apr stg 2 disables downstream O2. It does not, that was all I was saying was wrong, didn't cut down the quote to be specific.