GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Elvis Presley

Running Man

Ready to race!
Watched Viva Las Vegas over the weekend for the first time, anyone ever met him or been to Gracelands?

Mongo2

Passed Driver's Ed
Been to Graceland and to his birthplace. Even saw his grade school report card. Had a D in music.

I grew up in his hometown about a mile from their first house. Lived in Memphis for 13 years too.

When you see where he came from, a two room shotgun house, you get why Graceland was a big home to him. I think the house is only 3000-3500 sf.

jjm51

Ready to race!
maybe?

Before Elvis, there was nothing.

John Lennon

john must have said that when he was young i'm thinking?

never met elvis, but i did teach music history for 30 years or so. rock was a big part of my curriculum...

the beatles, stones, and all those brit bands just took american 'blues' and turned it on it's head and a lot more. :D

muddy waters went electric i think in 47? hendrix was playing robert johnson 30 years after johnson had died. i'm sure clapton who was/is playing robert johnson, was probably playing some guy that came before johnson that is lost to history.

it's no coincidence that blues, jazz and rock all were 'born' down in the southern states. not to be too proud, but it took a place like the states to 'ferment' what became blues, jazz, and rock. lot's of pain, passion, time, and so much more i could yak about. but yeah, if you want to hear some real stuff go down south.

elvis was the perfect guy at the perfect time. taking black music and putting it in a package (looks, sound, movement, etc) while many in this country were ready for change. especially teens. like john lennon was over there.

the brits have and still do a great job of re-inventing it. right on.

by the way; when lennon first got to the famous nbc studio in new york to do the ed sullivan show feb/64 the first thing he asked was;

'is this the same stage buddy holly sang on?' buddy was from texas. i count that as the 'south' too, w/respect.

i like what bono said about elvis; 'he's the big bang of rock and roll.' yeah. a white guy getting away with singing some pretty real stuff for 1950's. though that same music had been playing for decades and longer already.

that 'big bang' that elvis did though was 100+ years in the making.

ironically when lennon finally met his idol in the mid sixties elvis was not the guy he was in 1955 to 1959. in fact they felt he was 'past it.' unfortunately, save for a few exceptions they were way right. bummer.

cool thread mongo.

i'm a jazz head though...don't get me started on miles, coltrane, billie and many many more. lol