Drag Racing Champion
What I want to know is, is it spicy?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Swap in a EA888 Gen4. Or VR6.
*edit*
But yea... I just thought about it.... what am I gonna do to a electric? Rims and tires? Thats it?

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
one of the car mags said they changed the "I" in "GTI" to stand for Intelligence now.
It’s also been reported that the design of the GTI badge for VW’s electric GTI models will change - the ‘I’ being replaced by a lightning bolt to symbolise electric power;

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-volkswagen-gti-badge-points-electric-future

IMG_1270.jpeg

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
hard pass

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't hate it, definitely better than the mk8. Hopefully we get a better interior though.

I can't find the picture of it now, but no. It's not.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
What I want to know is, is it spicy?
This review is a cringe-fest. If I had a dime for everytime he said spicy I'd be a rich man. Also "Coolest looking wheel out there" to some of the most fugly wheels VW has dreamed up. Also, while the MK8 GTI has its issues with the interior, performance-wise its every bit as good or better than GTIs that came before. So when this guy said the MK8 was "meh" but this weak sauce electric FWD "GTI" was "exciting" he lost me. I mean, at the very least they could have made it RWD. Before you say "then it wouldn't be a GTI"...this is an electric, nothing GTI about it.

I think the exterior is ok, it can do away with a lit of the plastic though. Interior...big as ugly screen trend hits again.

Hard Pass.

Also, nothing about these electric cars can be tuned, so what you get is what you get until the battery takes a shit.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Also, nothing about these electric cars can be tuned, so what you get is what you get until the battery takes a shit.
I gotta disagree here.

1. There are already reports of makes planning to limit power from the factory and charge people to unlock more power, aka a dealer tune. So figure out a way to crack it and upgrade the power yourself. Same idea as slapping on a controller to run more boost in an ICE that is capable of making more power. Or buying an OTS tune from a third party.

2. People are absolutely tuning EVs, mainly via tricking the CMC. Also via inverter mods.
And you can tune the torque delivery, the cooling, etc. It’s in its very early days, but it’s happening.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I gotta disagree here.

1. There are already reports of makes planning to limit power from the factory and charge people to unlock more power, aka a dealer tune. So figure out a way to crack it and upgrade the power yourself. Same idea as slapping on a controller to run more boost in an ICE that is capable of making more power. Or buying an OTS tune from a third party.

2. People are absolutely tuning EVs, mainly via tricking the CMC. Also via inverter mods.
It’s in its very early days, but it’s happening.
Yeah I have no doubt that software patch cat and mouse game will continue to live on with EV's.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I gotta disagree here.

And you can tune the torque delivery, the cooling, etc. It’s in its very early days, but it’s happening.
1. Shouldn't be considered tuning or a dealer tune, just an overpriced add-on.

2. I'd probably consider tuning, but it much more risky or costly than say a simple tune which increases boost. The battery tech just isn't there yet, or cheap enough for 99.9% of owners to even consider.