GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric GTI

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
1. Shouldn't be considered tuning or a dealer tune, just an overpriced add-on.
Why? The engine in our cars today is built with the capability to produce much more power than it does from the factory. And in fact a basic tune to unlock some of that power is really simple. I can go online and with a few clicks get an "add-on" that increases my power. Or I can even go to the dealer and they will flash an APR "add on" for more power. Where are you drawing the line between a tune and an add-on?

2. I'd probably consider tuning, but it much more risky or costly than say a simple tune which increases boost. The battery tech just isn't there yet, or cheap enough for 99.9% of owners to even consider.
Right, because it's new. I'm confident we'll get there because its what motorsports enthusiasts want and will pay for. My point was that's wrong to say you can't tune an EV, because some people already are. It's not widespread or affordable yet, but we're on our way.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I read that it was designed by the same guy who did the Mk. 7.

Wheels are supposed to be an homage to the steel wheels of the original 1976 GTI in Germany.
Sounds plausible.
Yes, the cars styling just gives me an immediate feeling of working for me (as the styling of the MK7 did when I had my MK6) while the styling of the MK8 didn't.
I've come around to the 8 a bit, but it's still awkward looking to me at some angles.