GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Edelweiss my 79 rabbit VR6

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I bought this rabbit a few months back off a fellow dubber named Shannon aka deathare. It was a smooth transaction, and the guy was a class act even picking me up at the airport & helping me get a temp plate so I wouldn't get pulled over. He answered all my questions & was very helpful through the entire buying process. I wanted to give him the credit for building up the rabbit & the motor swap & making my job very easy. I only hope to build upon what he had started with my own vision.

I started really wanting a MK1 again after helping my wife & friends work on her EA cabby. I started out in MK1's at 16 in 93 & after owning prob every vw out there I just wanted to get back to that simplicity. Older vw's are in my blood & I have to give credit to my opa & my mom for exposing me to vw's early in my youth. When I began looking for another car I came across a 79 rabbit diesel in alpine white the exact same car I owned at 16, so I felt it was destiny giving me a second chance & I arranged the purchase. I flew into nashville & drove the car 13 hours straight home. 8 red bulls & alot of fill ups later I got the bunny home without any drama.

First thing we did was go over the entire car. It's 99% rust free. I had to put in a new windshield and found some small rust spots under the moulding, but was able to patch it up quickly. The brakes where redone adding some pads, ss lines and a good cleaning to the G60 calipers. The suspension was adjusted, exhaust tweaked, some parts in the bay where shaved, I added different headlights, hella fogs, misc. chrome trim, TT chip & a oem mono wiper off a MK1 rocco. I threw on a set of R10's 15x7 trying to get them spaced out perfectly ended up going 13mm front & 25mm rear with 165/45 rubber. Next up was some deap cleaning of the interior/bay/body. I plan to keep this car original paint as long as I possibly can.

Going over the entire car:

Working on the brakes:

New ss lines:

I plan on making up a modified oil pan for more low I'm about at my limit:

Already begun phase 2 of reworking the VR6 picked up a secong obd1 tb & polished it & shaved the coolant lines. Will be boring it out & porting/polishing the head/manifolds

removed some non essentials & cleaned up the paint

Over the winter I plan to add a race cam, new chip, hd valve springs, ti retainers. I'll prob rebuild and strengthen the internals & redo the chains. I'll be sending off a bunch of parts for powdercoat/polish to my buddies at 4 ever kustoms. The car is pretty beastly as it is now, and with the work I plan to do to it I should have enough power na, but I can't rule out some FI down the road?

Here's the full spec sheet:

1979 Rabbit
German built/ California coded

Engine:
2.8 VR6 12V(sourced from a 95 passat)
TT street chip

New on swap:
Battery, K&N filter, fuel pump, fuel filter napa#3012, s-belt napa#6k435, plugs, wires, water pump, all hoses, crack pipe, corrado vr radiator, coolant jug, dual 10” fans, low temp thermostat, low temp fan switch, all seals/gaskets, 02 sensor, coolant sensor, axle, serp pulley bearing, bfi tranny mount, vf passenger side mount, oem vw mount, gas tank

Exhaust;
2.25 eurosport exhaust, Secondary air delete, EGR delete, Cat delete. Downpipe and exhaust tip are ceramic coated

MK4 hydro clutch:
New clutch, flywheel, slave, master , hose
Claus Von Essen German linkage kit

Suspension:
New wheel bearings, KW coilovers, autotech upper stress bar, eibach front sway bar, neuspeed rear sway bar, homemade rear strut bar, poly a arm bushings

Brakes:
10.1" Brembo drilled rotors front, SS braided lines, 9.4" rear Brembo drilled rotors, New 22mm master cylinder, VW G60 calipers

Exterior:
Chrome small metal Euro bumpers, Hella clear turn signal lenses, Chrome grille and front badge, E-code H4 bulbs, yellow crosshairs, rust proofed undercarriage, hella fogs, MK1 Rocco mono wiper, chrome roof trim, small duckbill

interior:
tach swap, golfball shifter, cocoa mats

Wheels:
Ronal turbo R10 15x7 et 29 with 165/45/15 federals

To do:
-tt chip
-tt cam
-HD valve springs
-titanium retainers
-port/polish head/intake mani/-bored tb
-strengthen internals/redo timing chains
-VR6 pulleys
-new polished battery box (red optima?)
-polish autotech bar, vf mount
-pc wrinkle black (valve cover, intake mani, alt, pulley bracket)
-samco coolant hoses
-stage 1 turbo?
-chrome door handles/mirrors
-bay respray/minor shaving
-shortened oil pan
-one off custom parts

Thanks for checking out my build thread. I have no plans on changing the interior its perfect as is & its almost mint. I plan to keep updating this thread with pics & progress updates as I proceed. Hope to see you guys at H20:thumbup:

My plan is to keep this car in the best shape I possibly can & pass it on to my son. Luckily my bro in law made room in his garage to keep her out of the elements. My wife's cabby has dibs on my own garage & we're both lucky enough to have other vw's for dd duties.

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
That car is beautiful man. I'd love to own a MK1 someday.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
The definition of Custom! Super Nice Ride :thumbsup: it must sound pretty mean with that six banger :fighting0030:

P

plac

dammit.. every time i see your thread in my email i sing Edelweiss in my head..

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
dammit.. every time i see your thread in my email i sing Edelweiss in my head..
It's a catchy tune :D I came up wit the name, because my family is from bavaria & the car's color is alpine white so it just seemed to click:w00t:

Thanks for the compliments everyone & wait till I break her down this winter I build the VR back up should be entertaining.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
I have the tb being bored out as we speak, I've been talking to a few VR6 motor heads and here's the plan I'm going with. This has been proven to be a low 12 to high 11 all motor set-up, but the problem will be keeping traction in the MKI, but if I run it at the track plenty of room for slicks & a wider tire.

TT 268 cam
TT HD valve springs
TT Titanium Retainers
MK4 HG (bumps compression to 10.5:1)
3" CAI
2.5 eurosport exhaust, Secondary air delete, EGR delete, Cat delete. Ceramic coat downpipe/exhaust tip *done
TT chip for 268 and high compression, removes SAI and 2nd O2.
Port and Polished head (gasket match/intake runners/remove casting marks), Intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, downpipe
42MM Intake valves (+3 MM)
36MM Exhaust valves (+1.8 MM)
Resurfaced Head
New Valve guides
New cam Followers
ARP Headstuds
2.9 Clone Upper Intake manifold
1.8T IAT sensor
Autotech 10lb FW (stock was 25lbs)
New timing chains/guides/tensioners
Re-grease accessory belt tensioner bearing
New front O2 sensor
VF/BFI Poly Motor Mounts *done
ARP SS Exhaust studs
New Rear Main seal
New input shaft Seal
New Trans Fluid
New Oil cooler seals
New Thermostat/housing/pipe
New Oil Filter housing seal
New Oil pressure sensors
New water pump with metal impeller
All New gaskets in the top end and exhaust
Custom SS studs from ex manifolds to downpipe
integrate lsd
ww calipers for weight savings

Does anyone have any input? I would only plan to run this car every once in awhile. I keep the exhaust on because I want it to remain sleeper status. Though, it's good to have the extra power if I would need it, but I def don't beat on this car. I feel the car is pretty stiff as is with the autotech top & eibach fsb & the homemade rear upper strut bar (identical to autotech) & neuspeed rsb. The kw's are in great shape & already have poly bushings on most of the car.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
There are a few shops in the area (other than schimmel) that are well versed with the vr6 engine if you haven't already selected someone to do the port work. I can find out who did my cousin's vr6 last year if you'd like. I believe the shop was behind Histand's in Doylestown but I don't remember the name of it.