GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS tuning selling open-box returns?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Has anyone had a similar experience with ECS?
hahahahaha, yea... everyone eventually gets burned by them.

They are refusing to refund and offering only an exchange
Which is how it found its way to you in the first place, someone else's exchange. ECS Tuning is playing hot-potato with bad parts until it ends up with someone lazy enough to toss it in the trash.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've bought a lot of parts from many vendors like BMP, DAP, UROTUNING, and others I'm probably forgetting and a lot of stuff from ECS. Never had an issue. Only oddball thing was I ordered an APR TIP and it looked like it had defects so they sent me another one and it had the same and they refunded the purchase and didn't have to pay return shipping.

Gelnnandric

Car(s)
2018 GTI 2011 Tiguan
I generally had good experiences with them, until I ordered a larger intercooler for my Tiguan. Tiguan requires specific hoses that are longer, and only two companies make them, Wagner, and APR. I went with Wagner, ordered from ECS, and got sent the wrong kit. Customer support said there was no alternatives to the part, or hoses, and that the intercooler was back ordered. Which was a straight lie, because Wagner offers just the hoses for sale.

SamFortun

Passed Driver's Ed
I just ordered a replacement gauge direct from APR, I'll re-use the vent pod, electrical harness, and plumbing. So at least I was able to salvage a bit and not have to buy a complete new kit. I just couldn't bring myself to ship it back to ECS and hope they follow through with an exchange. Once a company operates in a way that I personally view as bad-faith, having any more dealings with them isn't an option for me.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I just ordered a replacement gauge direct from APR, I'll re-use the vent pod, electrical harness, and plumbing. So at least I was able to salvage a bit and not have to buy a complete new kit. I just couldn't bring myself to ship it back to ECS and hope they follow through with an exchange. Once a company operates in a way that I personally view as bad-faith, having any more dealings with them isn't an option for me.
I would be sure to let everyone in google land and social media know your situation.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I was in Ohio working and reached out to ECS about a shop tour. The employee who contacted me seemed excited to show me around and was told they would ask the R&D manager. I told them the date and time I would like to visit in return. No communication from them after that. I would think folks would want to promote their shop but who knows.
I haven’t bought from them since my fist purchase of the clutch bleeder block.
Take that back, I did purchase a coil puller tool.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was in Ohio working and reached out to ECS about a shop tour. The employee who contacted me seemed excited to show me around and was told they would ask the R&D manager. I told them the date and time I would like to visit in return. No communication from them after that. I would think folks would want to promote their shop but who knows.
I haven’t bought from them since my fist purchase of the clutch bleeder block.
Take that back, I didn’t purchase a coil puller tool.
I would think it's rather difficult to arrange a tour for just you at a set time and date. You just talked to an excited employee who has no control over such things.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
$2500 spent over the last ~3 years at ECS. Never had an issue. I've called to make changes to orders more than once and it's been pretty easy.

Not saying others haven't, yes I know about the FB group and how much people love to bash them.

If I was the OP, I would have called ECS immediately after receiving the item instead of waiting months to try and deal with it via email. But that's just me.

ecs.PNG

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
$2500 spent over the last ~3 years at ECS. Never had an issue. I've called to make changes to orders more than once and it's been pretty easy.

Not saying others haven't, yes I know about the FB group and how much people love to bash them.

If I was the OP, I would have called ECS immediately after receiving the item instead of waiting months to try and deal with it via email. But that's just me.

View attachment 216532
Same here. No problems with ECS.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'll order from ECS two or three times a year. So far...I haven't come across any issues. Haven't had to deal with any returns though.

SamFortun

Passed Driver's Ed
@KyACRASH I contacted them immediately after receiving the item, explained I wouldn't have time to install until May, and was told it wouldn't be a problem to get a refund at a later date since I brought the issue to their attention right away, and they had a record of it.

Nashvillain

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI S 17
I’d have to say the “it’s cool to hate on ECS” is one of the worst things I hate about the VW community.

they literally grew the scene to the point you own a mk7

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I've had no issues with ECS either in the few years I've been ordering from them. They even took back my 8 month old 034 motor mounts and gave me full credit towards a set of BFI mounts which was surprising. It sucks for the OP though in this situation and it would definetly make me not want to buy from them again had it been me.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
For grins, do a search on ECS and credit card fraud....
Also search for ECS spying on their employees, firing them all right before christmas to send their jobs overseas, their fraudulent "spin-to-win" marketing tactics (you can never win, its in the code, and the "winners" names are randomly selected from an index of first names and last initials)... theres a multitude of reasons to avoid them