Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
more pollution(smog) as well...

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
more water use to produce the corn
less acreage devoted to food production
i think the bottle of k100 fuel conditioner i have works with e10 so probably e15 as well

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Not to mention that fossil fuels are typically used to produce it . I wonder what the true costs for ethanol are after you take out the gov't subsidies?

At best is on par with gasoline, but taking into consideration agricultural land use, food costs, etc... All the studies just show how much worse it is basically.
and honestly with half a brain, a bit of logic and just applying basic physics, anyone should reconsider this and think how can this possibly be better than just burning fuel, its ridiculous.

Its only benefit is the octane bump I guess.... Would we get E15 94 or something at every pump? Or will they now just blend it poorer quality fuel....?
In the end we get 5% more ethanol (which has 33% less energy, if my math is right, that's ~1.5% less overall, so less mpgs, nice.)

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
At best is on par with gasoline, but taking into consideration agricultural land use, food costs, etc... All the studies just show how much worse it is basically.
and honestly with half a brain, a bit of logic and just applying basic physics, anyone should reconsider this and think how can this possibly be better than just burning fuel, its ridiculous.

Its only benefit is the octane bump I guess.... Would we get E15 94 or something at every pump? Or will they now just blend it poorer quality fuel....?
In the end we get 5% more ethanol (which has 33% less energy, if my math is right, that's ~1.5% less overall, so less mpgs

No logic, half wits. Sounds like our politicians.

I'm starting to regret my decision to go with the 93 octane tune, haven't reached my breaking point. In NJ it is only costing me 60 dollars for a fill up from dead empty.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

In the end we get 5% more ethanol (which has 33% less energy, if my math is right, that's ~1.5% less overall, so less mpgs, nice.)

Agree. I wonder if they will still sell E85 alone at the pump? If you live close to a station that has it, you can just toss in a gallon or so during fill up.

Gas prices are a joke. Oil companies don't have to do this. Exon reported $8.8 billion Q1 '22. And that's just what they are reporting.

Governments are cutting off Russia, and the US has formally banned all Russian energy imports, which is one of OPEC's largest exporting countries. Russia's oil is slowly and steadily being removed from global markets. And we wonder why prices are going through the roof?

In response to Covid, OPEC agreed to reduce production as a way to support prices. Now that demand has returned, overall production targets have stayed as low as pre-pandemic figures. This is a perfect storm, and I doubt prices come down until after September, if ever. I'm pretty sure the days of $2 gas are over.

Slashing ethanol at the pumps is mainly the result of state and federal environmental rules that are prompting some refineries to switch from oil to lower carbon renewable fuels. This is also why we have less oil production in the US, that and the fact that Biden won't allow companies to search for new oil on US soil. This is also driving the price of diesel and jet fuel up far more than gasoline. Yet, we receive all of our oil from export countries on tankers across the ocean which burn through millions of barrels to get it here.

The whole world is nuts right now.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ethanol is much more expensive to produce than gasoline. Its energy yield is lower and it takes more resources to produce.

Not to mention it's only viable because of huge agricultural subsidies.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
No logic, half wits. Sounds like our politicians.

I'm starting to regret my decision to go with the 93 octane tune, haven't reached my breaking point. In NJ it is only costing me 60 dollars for a fill up from dead empty.
Since I was already at 93 octane anyways, I didn’t have a choice. I thought about a 91 octane tune, but the math isn’t there.

Status
Not open for further replies.