GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG sport mode ?

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys my apologies if this has been covered before but I just picked up my new MK7.5 yesterday and was wondering what is the best way to utilize the power in sport mode ? Do you keep in D mode, use the triptonic and shift up and down or use the paddle shifters ? Never had a dual clutch tranny so I deff do not want to mess anything up lol. Also are the Hancook tires they come with trash or decent ? Other than that I love the car !!!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys my apologies if this has been covered before but I just picked up my new MK7.5 yesterday and was wondering what is the best way to utilize the power in sport mode ? Do you keep in D mode, use the triptonic and shift up and down or use the paddle shifters ? Never had a dual clutch tranny so I deff do not want to mess anything up lol. Also are the Hancook tires they come with trash or decent ? Other than that I love the car !!!

Keep it in drive and manually downshift when needed under 1.5k rpm with the left paddle. It will go back to drive after 10 seconds or so and upshift, so be ready for it. Once you've got 1k miles on it, switch to manual all the time if you're comfortable with it. Drive and Sport both leave a lot to be desired without using the paddles and manual sometimes. With a tune it's better, but you still use everything from time to time.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Very interesting guys thank you for the feedback on that. I come from a 6 speed manual so the paddle shifters and shifting with the +/- feels kind of weird for me lol.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

1) There's 2 sport modes in your car. There's the driving profile selection Sport, then there's S on the transmission. So assuming you're talking about transmission-S, then only you can really figure out how you like it the most. Just know that there's not really much you can do to damage the transmission, since it operates itself. It won't let you money shift, it wont let you overrev, etc.

2) The tires are trash. Get new ones.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
FWIW I shift manually 98% of the time and I replaced the stock Hankooks with less than 1000 miles. Horrible traction wether it be forward, lateral, or especially wet.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
1) There's 2 sport modes in your car. There's the driving profile selection Sport, then there's S on the transmission. So assuming you're talking about transmission-S, then only you can really figure out how you like it the most. Just know that there's not really much you can do to damage the transmission, since it operates itself. It won't let you money shift, it wont let you overrev, etc.

2) The tires are trash. Get new ones.

Thanks GolfWang I was actually referring to the Sport mode option under driving profile selection. I will deff look into swapping out the tires for sure soon. When I looked at the sides of the tires when I got home from the dealer "I said to myself wtf are HanKooks ?" lol

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
S mode is best when you're approaching an intersection and need the tranny to downshift to 1st gear. Most often than not, the car will stay in 2nd if you are rolling and even if you hit your paddle repeatedly to downshift, it may ignore you or will pause for a full 1-2 seconds which might get you into trouble. If you use S mode, then the tranny will downshift to 1st gear pretty much guaranteed.

Other than for that, I use it going up-hill during normal acceleration to prevent early shift up into 2nd gear or when I'm going all out from a stop to use launch control. Otherwise I don't think S mode map is all that great.

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
S mode is best when you're approaching an intersection and need the tranny to downshift to 1st gear. Most often than not, the car will stay in 2nd if you are rolling and even if you hit your paddle repeatedly to downshift, it may ignore you or will pause for a full 1-2 seconds which might get you into trouble. If you use S mode, then the tranny will downshift to 1st gear pretty much guaranteed.

Other than for that, I use it going up-hill during normal acceleration to prevent early shift up into 2nd gear or when I'm going all out from a stop to use launch control. Otherwise I don't think S mode map is all that great.

Gotcha been using the paddle shifters and I am amazed how smooth the tranny shifts !!