GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dropped a screwdriver in engine bay and can not retrieve it.

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
Two weeks ago I was installing my DV+ and had to remove my intake. I dropped a rather large flat head into the bay by accident and could get absolutely no visual on the screwdriver. I rolled the car back and forth, but nothing. I had no choice but to leave for work without retrieving the tool. 1/2 mile down the road and I hear "KA-KLUNK KLUNK KLUNK." Scared the crap out of me. Thought I MUST have dropped the screwdriver onto the road. Searched thoroughly, nothing. Now I hear small thunking when performing low spleen 1st gear maneuvers. About as loud as if somebody were tapping on your window with one knuckle. I took it to a shop and they found no damage but could not find the tool either. It sounds as if it is coming from the rear axle now and mostly happens just before coming to a complete stop. I'm not sure how many panels Firestone (the shop) removed as I was not allowed in the bay..Grrr. The noise is super irritating and also makes me nervous.

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
I should add that is is not a single KLUNK, but usually two or three with no particular pattern.

gx33

Ready to race!
I should add that is is not a single KLUNK, but usually two or three with no particular pattern.

I would try and remove the front bumper or at the very least, the plastic underbody tray.

Once the front bumper is removed, you can see if it is on top of the underbody panels, inside the fender or wheel well, etc.

There are a couple DIYs on how to remove the front bumper - DAP covers bumper removal in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKydAgQbOM

The process is fairly easy

Dan84

Ready to race!
Remove the underbody cover, it's easy - dropped screws couple of time in mine and just removed the cover

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Dropping tools or nuts/bolts in the engine bay is always a PITA. Suggestion for next time, buy a strong magnet with an extension and go fishing in the area you dropped it... it always works.

ZKK007

Ready to race!
I dropped a bolt installing my DV+ and found it in the subframe crossmember. Had to reach around the top and finger it out (I couldn't think of a better description [emoji14]). It has holes on top, a few on the bottom and is hollow. Check in there. It sounds like it has moved around though get a magnet and wish yourself good luck!