GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drivers side wind noise?

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Been noticing lately the wind noise when driving at motorway speeds in my GTi is quite loud compared to my previous car (2010 Leon FR). Anyone else get this or am I just being picky and it’s just windy outside?

EDIT: realised there’s loads of threads already on this. My bad.

Last edited:

Cecil

Been noticing lately the wind noise when driving at motorway speeds in my GTi is quite loud compared to my previous car (2010 Leon FR). Anyone else get this or am I just being picky and it’s just windy outside?

EDIT: realised there’s loads of threads already on this. My bad.

I have the same issue. mentioned it to the dealer when in for a service last week, they couldn't replicate the noise. Mine seems worse in cross winds.

If you do find a solution i would appreciate if you would post it up.

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have the same issue. mentioned it to the dealer when in for a service last week, they couldn't replicate the noise. Mine seems worse in cross winds.

If you do find a solution i would appreciate if you would post it up.

Sure, I’d found a thread earlier where someone said if the top door seal is replaced then could fix it. Or apparently there is a screw that connects the vertical seal to the horizontal one which can be loose.
I’ve not had chance to look myself yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slipstream

loweritonh&rsports.com
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Same problem here. I haven't had a chance to get it into the dealer yet but it drives me nuts. Upper DS window frame and/or corner of the windshield. Definitely worse on crosswinds and louder as it gets colder, which points to the rubber seals as the culprit.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you post a link to the thread? Yes I’m being lazy

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
I would suggest a couple things. If the dealer isn't able to replicate the noise I would just go ahead and buy the new seals from the drivers side yourself. Then have the dealership install them. If that fixes the issue then you're good to go. If it only makes a little better buy WeatherTech or OEM Window Deflectors for the front/rear. The deflector is the route that I made simply because Chicago suburbs winds can be a bear. This has significantly made it much better in my case. Prior to having them installed there was some wind noise, but not to the point of driving my crazy. If you aesthetically don't like the look of the deflectors, then go to the new seal route.

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
I would suggest a couple things. If the dealer isn't able to replicate the noise I would just go ahead and buy the new seals from the drivers side yourself. Then have the dealership install them. If that fixes the issue then you're good to go. If it only makes a little better buy WeatherTech or OEM Window Deflectors for the front/rear. The deflector is the route that I made simply because Chicago suburbs winds can be a bear. This has significantly made it much better in my case. Prior to having them installed there was some wind noise, but not to the point of driving my crazy. If you aesthetically don't like the look of the deflectors, then go to the new seal route.

Thanks man. I’m gonna have a look and see if I can see any physical defects later today. Failing that I’ll go see dealer and see what they say about it as I’ve got 6 months warranty

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Anyone try rolling down the window down and placing a sheet of copy paper between the door and the car to see if you can easily pull it out?

guruuno

I have the same exact noise from day 1. However, given the past experience of dealership mechanics, I'm living with the noise. I've asked 4 different dealers, also the Regional rep, they all play dumb, say leave the car, we'll adjust the door, do this do that, but no guarantees, not stories of others, nothing.
I don't want to be the one who screams at them for making it worse.
It should not be this difficult.
However, love is grand.
If you love the car, you live with it's minor deficiencies, almost like my wife. :)

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
Thanks man. I’m gonna have a look and see if I can see any physical defects later today. Failing that I’ll go see dealer and see what they say about it as I’ve got 6 months warranty

That's probably your best chance! Some VW dealership are really weird about warranty stuff. So you might want to take it sooner than later haha! Keep us posted!

TDI-CROSSGOLF

Passed Driver's Ed
I took delivery of a 2016 TDI SEL GSW about a month ago. Drove it 600 miles back home and noticed a loud wind noise coming from the front window area on the driver side only. By pushing against the glass from the inside the noise went away..
I folded a tissue multiple times and jammed it between the vertical pillar and the glass for the duration of the trip.
Took it in for service and told them about the problem..apparently they adjusted the glass or something and now I don't have the noise anymore.
Before the fix, I noticed from the outside that the glass was not flush against the seal of the short vertical pillar as compared to the passenger side, after the fix it is now flush..

hopes this helps