GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drag racing 2017 GSW MK7 TSi Auto.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
But I thought it chooses to shift at redline. I also thought that was not optimal.

D or S mode?
Generally speaking a torque convertor transmission is at its best shifting at redline and I would use S mode.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn’t let it shift at redline. If you stay with the stock turbo, just use manual mode and shift around 5,500. By the time it gets it, it will be around 5,700-5,800. I wouldn’t go further. The auto shifts are slow. I’ve compared my dragy times for 60-100 vs dsg cars. I lose about 4 tenths of a second because of my shift at 93 mph. Overall, the fwd auto is not the best car for drag racing. I would get a 4motion sportwagen or a rwd car. The other thing is if you have an idea of how far you want to take the car, then take that into consideration for the tuner. The only tuner I go can truly tune for cars with the auto is Reflect Tuning. The others give you a limited time because they can’t overcome the torque limiter built into the transmissions ECU

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've asked Reflect about their 09g tcu tune..Response was 'not for the mk7 version' and 'it would take a lot of testing and development at their site'.

One of these days I'll pull out my gas pedal to investigate disabling kickdown.

@TwinDad has a post somewhere discussing how to adjust the valve body

for AX, I appreciate the consistency of the auto and the fact that a money shift is impossible. Maybe not a concern at the drag.strip.

I shift in M mode, not S.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I've asked Reflect about their 09g tcu tune..Response was 'not for the mk7 version' and 'it would take a lot of testing and development at their site'.

One of these days I'll pull out my gas pedal to investigate disabling kickdown.

@TwinDad has a post somewhere discussing how to adjust the valve body

for AX, I appreciate the consistency of the auto and the fact that a money shift is impossible. Maybe not a concern at the drag.strip.

I shift in M mode, not S.
The only thing he has for the older model is the rpm shift points can be raised. That would all he would be able to offer with the mk7 as well. For an is20, my stock shift points are higher than necessary. So there isn’t really a need for it. As far as valve body adjustment, it is only for hard or loose shifts. One way firms them and one way loosens them. Neither is good, only just right is just right. Not a performance adjustment as a maintenance adjustment if needed