GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downshifting with the shift lever on a DSG

pcguru83

Ready to race!
I tried to play around with manual mode for the first time today and noticed something odd with my gearshift lever when in manual mode. With the gearshift lever all the way down, I pushed it over to the right to enter manual mode. At this point, the paddle shifters work as you'd expect.

However, when I tried to bump the gearshift lever up or down to change gears accordingly (still having the lever all the way to the right), nothing would budge. After messing with it for a bit (and pushing harder than I was really comfortable with) something finally seemed to "give" and I was able to get it to shift up. I can now shift up consistently and it feels pretty normal. I've played around with it a bit to get it to go down, but it's just not happening. I've wiggled it, pushed rather forcefully, and just generally tried to coerce it down, but it's just not budging.

I'm going to mention it to the dealer next time I'm in, but does anyone have any suggestions in the meantime? Anyone have any similar troubles? It's slightly disconcerting that I had issues getting it to move in both directions when in manual mode.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
You should be able shift in manual mode with one finger

pcguru83

Ready to race!
Thanks all, I suppose I figured as much. I've got a growing list of things I need to talk to the dealer about, so I suppose I need to make an appointment at this point.

pcguru83

Ready to race!
Wanted to give an update to this. The dealer found a T25 torx screw just floating around in the gearshift lever channel. Slightly disconcerting to say the least. They removed it, and it is effortless as can be now. They insist it didn't do any other damage in there, so hopefully they are correct.

Apparently my car was just full of spare parts, as I had a clip fall into my footwell about a week after I bought it. While I was there today, they looked all over, and could not find anywhere that was missing a clip. He suggested it may have just been a part that was damaged during the initial build, but never got cleaned up and removed.

So if anyone needs any spare parts, let me know, I can probably find it somewhere. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booger_Davis

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to hear it was an easy fix

Mine shifts too easily, was coasting down a hill with my hand on the shifter, accidentally downshifted, and that surprised me so much I did it again. Almost a money shift, while coasting.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Good to hear it was an easy fix

Mine shifts too easily, was coasting down a hill with my hand on the shifter, accidentally downshifted, and that surprised me so much I did it again. Almost a money shift, while coasting.
Yeah I did something similar. Trying to break the bad habit of resting my hand on the shifter. Good thing the computer won't allow a money shift! :D

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Wanted to give an update to this. The dealer found a T25 torx screw just floating around in the gearshift lever channel. Slightly disconcerting to say the least. They removed it, and it is effortless as can be now. They insist it didn't do any other damage in there, so hopefully they are correct.

Apparently my car was just full of spare parts, as I had a clip fall into my footwell about a week after I bought it. While I was there today, they looked all over, and could not find anywhere that was missing a clip. He suggested it may have just been a part that was damaged during the initial build, but never got cleaned up and removed.

So if anyone needs any spare parts, let me know, I can probably find it somewhere. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dafuq?
At least it works properly now

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk