GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dome light buttons?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
hey, I figured out what needs to be done as far as both pieces that need to be undone, but I have yet to figure out exactly where and what and how the clips are undone. and to think you did it at night! I did kinda decide it must require pick tools rather than the usual push and pull (so thank you for that confirmation) but I have not figured out exactly how to do them. I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow, just to see if he can get those two clips released.

Hey,
I just pulled out the old unit to take a look. Can you point out in the pic where you are having troubles?

zech912

Ready to race!
in the yellow, there is s alittle piece that says “made in mexico”, out of that piece comes a wire that attaches to the the connector colored in red, on the opposite end of that is the wire I colored red that goes into the roof. I cannot figure out how to detach any of those pieces. The other two connectors, the sunroof and one one on the right which I guess is LEDs, no issues. The green circle is kinda the entire space of these two objects, the red and the yellow.

Attachments

• 30AC0283-0A73-433B-AD9D-83F018940ACC.jpeg
    30AC0283-0A73-433B-AD9D-83F018940ACC.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 279

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
in the yellow, there is s alittle piece that says “made in mexico”, out of that piece comes a wire that attaches to the the connector colored in red, on the opposite end of that is the wire I colored red that goes into the roof. I cannot figure out how to detach any of those pieces. The other two connectors, the sunroof and one one on the right which I guess is LEDs, no issues. The green circle is kinda the entire space of these two objects, the red and the yellow.
Now I remember, that piece was a bitch to get off[emoji38]. Definitely had to use pick tools to pry it open enough to pop out that unit. That was the hardest part in the install

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Do you have a link on ebay for it?
If you mean links to the dome light unit, the ebay seller I bought them from doesn't have any from what I can see. I can give you the part numbers though.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you mean links to the dome light unit, the ebay seller I bought them from doesn't have any from what I can see. I can give you the part numbers though.

Thank you. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to warranty the driver side window switch so I'll see if they have it in stock.

zech912

Ready to race!
Now I remember, that piece was a bitch to get off[emoji38]. Definitely had to use pick tools to pry it open enough to pop out that unit. That was the hardest part in the install

well, at least I am not imagining it. :). and yes, once that is out, will be a breeze to complete.

zech912

Ready to race!
so I took it to dealer, he had it in a few minutes. no charge. Penske Auto Group in Scottsdale AZ, they have been great since day 1.

while i was struggling with those clips, I was wondering if this swap was actually a good idea. after the trip t dealer, when I entered the parking garage at work and looked up at the console and saw those perfectly backlit tabs, it is EXTREMELY well worth it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
so I took it to dealer, he had it in a few minutes. no charge. Penske Auto Group in Scottsdale AZ, they have been great since day 1.

while i was struggling with those clips, I was wondering if this swap was actually a good idea. after the trip t dealer, when I entered the parking garage at work and looked up at the console and saw those perfectly backlit tabs, it is EXTREMELY well worth it.

I was just at Penske in Scottsdale today for the driver's door window switch and asked them about doing this and my service guy had no idea about it. Who did you see there?

zech912

Ready to race!
trying to remember his name, he was great. he replaced Kendra who recently left. if you call and ask for her replacement, he will be the guy. what time were you there? i do not believe he would have known about it except mine was dangling by the sole remaining wires and so i could point to the connector/piece that needed to be removed and it was very clear to see and explain what I was talking about. and for the person who did it, it was easy to execute (though it was certainly not for me). do I understand that you did not have the replacement piece with you? that you need to buy one? be sure to buy the 2015 model which ironically replaces the 2018. in their parts book it will say “does not fit”, but it is identical, just the “old” model.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
trying to remember his name, he was great. he replaced Kendra who recently left. if you call and ask for her replacement, he will be the guy. what time were you there? i do not believe he would have known about it except mine was dangling by the sole remaining wires and so i could point to the connector/piece that needed to be removed and it was very clear to see and explain what I was talking about. and for the person who did it, it was easy to execute (though it was certainly not for me). do I understand that you did not have the replacement piece with you? that you need to buy one? be sure to buy the 2015 model which ironically replaces the 2018. in their parts book it will say “does not fit”, but it is identical, just the “old” model.

I was there from 2 PM to 3:30 PM. And thanks for the info.

zech912

Ready to race!
it is not that complicated. I see in a previous post, you already have the correct part number. it is not something the service advisor can be expected to know. i had already bought the part and the 2018 oem piece was dangling by a couple wires. I did not go there and ask them to do everything for me, just asked if they could get those clips for me, which they did in awesome manner.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it is not that complicated. I see in a previous post, you already have the correct part number. it is not something the service advisor can be expected to know. i had already bought the part and the 2018 oem piece was dangling by a couple wires. I did not go there and ask them to do everything for me, just asked if they could get those clips for me, which they did in awesome manner.

I understand but with it fresh in their mind I wouldn't have expected them to act like I was crazy to ask about doing that.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Did you order this part #: 5G1-947-105-R-WHI (black) or 5G1-947-105-R-DYS (Grey)? Just want to be sure cause it looks like dark gray to me in the GTI lol.
I believe it was a black coloured unit I got.