GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does VW Scan ECU for routine service?

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wondering if its safe to take my car to dealer for routine service (like an oil change etc) with an APR Stage 1 ECU Flash?

Reason I ask is because I have another car with an ECU update that had to go to the dealer for an airbag recall. In the process of doing the recall they scanned my ECU and voided my powertrain warranty. By the way it was not the dealer who did this, they were as shocked as I was. They said ECU readings automatically get downloaded to the manufacturer when you have service done and that is how they knew and the manufacturer decided to cancel my powertrain warranty.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Here's the deal. If you're on an APR tune, your warranty is gone either way. It can either be gone during a recall visit, gone during a scheduled maintenance visit, or gone once you take the car in when something actually goes wrong.

The second your APR dealer plugged into your OBD, you took the red pill. No going back now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mk4_337

Ready to race!
Welcome to the Matrix lol
Not but in all honesty I think it really varies like biglilsteve said, it can be gone in any of these scenarios :/

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's the deal. If you're on an APR tune, your warranty is gone either way. It can either be gone during a recall visit, gone during a scheduled maintenance visit, or gone once you take the car in when something actually goes wrong.

The second your APR dealer plugged into your OBD, you took the red pill. No going back now.

This is not entirely true. Engine problem they could say no warranty. If my power windows quit working- they can't.

No going back? Sure there is. It can be flashed back to stock just as easily.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is not entirely true. Engine problem they could say no warranty. If my power windows quit working- they can't.

Not so. This isn't 2009. Read my posts for how it works. As soon as you get a flash tune it's game over.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just wondering if its safe to take my car to dealer for routine service (like an oil change etc) with an APR Stage 1 ECU Flash?

Reason I ask is because I have another car with an ECU update that had to go to the dealer for an airbag recall. In the process of doing the recall they scanned my ECU and voided my powertrain warranty. By the way it was not the dealer who did this, they were as shocked as I was. They said ECU readings automatically get downloaded to the manufacturer when you have service done and that is how they knew and the manufacturer decided to cancel my powertrain warranty.

Tell them don't reset your SIR. Get a VCDS and do it yourself.

Lstorm2003

Passed Driver's Ed
[/B]

Not so. This isn't 2009. Read my posts for how it works. As soon as you get a flash tune it's game over.

Thats disconcerting to hear. I spent a lot of time with the apr dealer today and they assured me that flashing back to stock is no problem and VW / dealer has no way to tell because they also reset the flash counter.

Or can you direct me to your posts where you discuss this? I'm new at this I have no idea how to find them.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
SIR? Service Indicator Reminder? I'm totally guessing here.

And what good does that do? I assume that means they don't plug in or read the computer?

They have no reason to hook up for routine service other than to reset the reminder. I suggest find you sneak around back and ask one of their younger master mechanics.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thats disconcerting to hear. I spent a lot of time with the apr dealer today and they assured me that flashing back to stock is no problem and VW / dealer has no way to tell because they also reset the flash counter.

Or can you direct me to your posts where you discuss this? I'm new at this I have no idea how to find them.

PM sent. In a few minutes.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!

[/B]

Exactly. These ECUs are too smart. There will be a record that you WERE operating outside factory conditions.

And my post implied the assumption that we're talking about our powertrain warranty with tunes.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
My understanding was anytime your car goes into the dealer including their "quick service" it was hooked up and downloaded to corporate completely removing the dealership from the warranty denial based on software mods, history, codes etc. so if you go in for a window switch, it'll get fixed under warranty but in the process you've been flagged and denied or will be denied any drivetrain warranty claims, it's just most don't have drivetrain issues under warranty, or their ownership, so then it becomes a non issue many times, some get away going back to stock and pushing car down street and calling for tow and others pay to play if necessary, I figure be prepared to pay to play but more likely, be prepared to trade and upgrade if needed.

Imo people worry to much about losing the drivetrain warranty, that if it's one of the good cars, you'll never even use anyway, but we've all been either burned or saved by warranty work on some pos we've all owned in the past :)