GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you know what this is? Marks under clear coat of the wheel.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I noticed this mark? On one of my wheels (Nogaro’s). Its under the clear coat and I haven’t had any luck finding information on it. I want to say it started small and seemed to grow a little.

There is no physical damage to the outside of the wheel.

Any help identifying it and opinions if its covered under warranty is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Have these seen road salt?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Unfortunately common with brushed aluminium wheels. One of my Austin's started doing this within a few months of ownership, even without exposure to any road salt.

In a lot of cases the clear coat gets slightly compromised at the bead when you do a tire change on the rim. Moisture and oxygen get under the clear coat, the underlying aluminium starts to oxidize, and then begins lifting the clear coat. From there it spreads quickly. Unfortunately nothing you can do to stop or fix it.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yep, very common. Absolutely ruined my wheels on my camry. I used aircraft stripper to get the clear coat off, wire brushed, sand blasted, then painted them with a mix of leftover paints from painting the body of the car and the leftover from painting my moms durango. Was a pain in the ass

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Never buy clearcoated wheels. Alloy painted ftw

ccbird

Ready to race!
Thanks ccbird! This is exactly what it is. Helps to know what its called. :D

Now to see if they'll cover it under warranty...

No worries. I have seen in on my old GTI and the Austins as well as numerous cars from Hondas to Jeeps. Pretty normal especially in snow and salt territory.

Good luck on the warranty claim. My guess is they balk.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
It's unfortunate but I agree, anytime I've had or seen machined wheels, they peel not too long after new, clearcoated same deal.