GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie

Weird, I have the same part number and software version and my Performance Monitor works.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Back to my problem with CarPlay...

When I initially plugged it all in, before removing Component Protection, it exhibited the same behavior as it does now. So I don't think it's a FeC problem. It's got to be the 2018 USB port and the lack of the 5G0-035-222-E and associated wiring....hopefully.

I just ordered one for China, so now we wait...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Does this mean that if I get Component Protection removed at the dealership (legitimately) Bluetooth, Performance Monitor, and the SD Card Slot will not function?

If that's the case, I shall be Skyping to Poland...

Whether you have it done with Jack or the Dealership both are legitimate. An independent can purchase a license to use ODIS diagnostic at erWin. $100 to register and $750/year. Just wanted to clarify the inference that Jack is somehow not legit. My dealer was legit; however, incompetent. With Jack you get competence and legitimacy.

4.0 – ODIS Service Registration Steps

□ Logon to erWin, click the Vehicle Diagnostics & Reprogramming tab and complete the 5 Steps below.

□ Step 1 – Independent Shop Registration - $100 application fee.

□ Step 2 – Request Security Certificate – One free certificate is
available with registration. Additional certificates are available
for $500/year.

□ Step 3 – Obtain Diagnostic License – Free

□ Step 4 – ODIS Service Installation Instructions – Free

□ Step 5 - Purchase Diagnostic Subscription - $750/year/brand

joaopedro1520

So I finished retrofitting as well and only left with 2 issues. Everything is looking really awesome and fast with the MIB2, but my 2 issues are.
- The usb option doesn't show up in media but CarPlay works ( and in VCDS it shows usb+iphone functionality)
- In the car menu, on the screen that previously shown the next service info now only shows the VIN of the car.
Anyone can help?
Thanks

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I also just did the full MIB1 to MIB2 conversion (non-nav) in my 2015 GTI. All in all for parts alone cost me $160. I bought them from a salvaged 2017 GTI S (S model is same as my car) on eBay. Got a killer deal. That's screen/glovebox unit/USB wiring. My friend works for VW so we went there and removed CP. Couldn't find FeCs to transfer and we were strapped for time. I'm going to have Jack program the FeCs and Carplay. so total it's a +/- $500 package for me which is stellar.

The stock FeCs on my MIB1 are:
00030000 AMI (USB Enable)
00050000 Bluetooth
00070100 SDS

That's all.

Currently with everything wired up and CP removed I get power to my USB (charges my Pixel 2 FAST) and AUX works for audio. So I do know this should hopefully work once FeCs are taken care of. Under the sources I do not see Bluetooth or USB currently. Aux/SD Card/Disc work fine. I haven't looked at XM yet. Phone button/Voice Button/Carplay obviously does not function yet either.

Stuntnuts: I would absolutely swap 5G0-035-222-E into your car. I got it for like $60 on ali. Took a week and a half to arrive. There is also a yellow connector that plugs in the back of the MIB2 (I thought it might be for the AUX) as well as the green one that goes into the lock. Perhaps it NEEDS this configuration for USB to work properly with the MIB2 unit.

Though it is also concerning you do not have an FeC for USB so maybe even with a new USB/AUX it just isn't going to work.

Oh and greetings to another fellow Mainer :cool:

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. First see if you can get carplay activated. I tried and no luck. Spent hours with the tech. Entered the code and everything. Ended up getting a unit from APG.

mk3vr6me

Ready to race!
I wouldn't get too excited just yet. First see if you can get carplay activated. I tried and no luck. Spent hours with the tech. Entered the code and everything. Ended up getting a unit from APG.

Well, even if I can just get the Bluetooth/Voice back by transferring FeCs I'll be happy. With or without Carplay, this head unit is leagues better than the MIB1 and I'm never going back :D

a3golfer

A few questions:

1) Is the MIB 2 a 6-inch screen or 8-inch screen?

2) Is the USB port 1.0 amp or 2.4 amp or what kind of amperage?

3) Does this have Mirror Link? Does it directly mirror your Android phone's screen? (Basically could I do that MIB II option or should I just get the navigation?)

4) Why is the Fender MIB 1 amp different from the MIB 2 amp? Is it the connectors or what's special about this?

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
A few questions:

1) Is the MIB 2 a 6-inch screen or 8-inch screen?

2) Is the USB port 1.0 amp or 2.4 amp or what kind of amperage?

3) Does this have Mirror Link? Does it directly mirror your Android phone's screen? (Basically could I do that MIB II option or should I just get the navigation?)

4) Why is the Fender MIB 1 amp different from the MIB 2 amp? Is it the connectors or what's special about this?

MIB2 will operate on the 6" or 8" screen. Resolution is the same.

Not sure about the amperage...I have part# 5G0035222E and my Pixel 2 shows "charging", not charging slowly or fast charging.

I believe Mirror Link, Android Auto, and Apple Carplay all operate off of VW App Connect, which needs to be purchased or activated remotely.

The MIB2 amp looks exactly like the MIB1 amp and uses the same plugs. Not sure what is different about them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Weird, I have the same part number and software version and my Performance Monitor works.

Did you have to do some coding changes to activate it? If so, can you post them? I have the same part # and software version in my 2017 GSE and would like to enable the performance monitor.

mk3vr6me

Ready to race!
Did you have to do some coding changes to activate it? If so, can you post them? I have the same part # and software version in my 2017 GSE and would like to enable the performance monitor.

I'm pretty certain Performance Monitor was tied to an FeC and only certain cars came with them. Basically luck of the draw. People have tried to enable with VCDS with no success.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm pretty certain Performance Monitor was tied to an FeC and only certain cars came with them. Basically luck of the draw. People have tried to enable with VCDS with no success.

Okay, but what's an FeC? Is that like a pay for play feature activation?