GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Pro Euro Radio 8" - Retrofit into NA MK7 GTI

fluidd

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has been able to try this out.

I am thinking of Retrofitting the European 8" Discover Pro Radio Unit, into my North American MK7 GTI. Up here in North America, we weren't fortunate enough to get the beautiful big screen that the European version MK7 GTI gets.

Please find attached source link: http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/radio-composition-colour-vw-golf-7

If anyone has tried it out there, can you please let me know the issues (if any) that you ran into? If someone can post a tutorial (if needed) that would be great also. (I am hoping its just simple plug and play)

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

georgy

Ready to race!
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has been able to try this out.

I am thinking of Retrofitting the European 8" Discover Pro Radio Unit, into my North American MK7 GTI. Up here in North America, we weren't fortunate enough to get the beautiful big screen that the European version MK7 GTI gets.

Please find attached source link: http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/Volk...e-Set-Front-Rear-Parking-Assist-VW-Golf-7-VII

If anyone has tried it out there, can you please let me know the issues (if any) that you ran into? If someone can post a tutorial (if needed) that would be great also. (I am hoping its just simple plug and play)

Thanks guys!

Did you even take the time to read the link that you provided?

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
It's not possible to retro fit due to the component protection problem. Physical fitting of the hardware is a simple job but VW won't unlock the component protection. Basically if it's not fitted as standard then you've had it.

fluidd

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not possible to retro fit due to the component protection problem. Physical fitting of the hardware is a simple job but VW won't unlock the component protection. Basically if it's not fitted as standard then you've had it.

Good to know! Thanks for letting me know. I will wait until someone figures out a way to get it done on here. In the mean while, I will make due with my 5.8" :(

stedes1

Hey there. Component protection exists only for VW to check whether something is stolen or not. When a new electronic part is fitted, the car connects and "talks" to a db in Germany and checks if the part is in the "stolen list". If not then you're good to go.

The problem with the discover pro is twofold. One, don't forget that it's not just the screen which is different but also the unit in the glovebox and some other hardware as well. Second, there is probably a reason you didn't get it in the US (just as we can't get it in Australia either). I believe the reason for Australia might be that maps for the Discover Pro satnav are not available for this country. It could be similar to the US.

A bunch of people in Australia have successfully managed to retrofit this to a base Golf that came with the Composition system but they are stuck with the satnav (search on vwwatercooled forums and you will find the thread).

Lastly don't forget....buying all that equipment new will be very expensive!

Wolksvagen

Banned
Hey there. Component protection exists only for VW to check whether something is stolen or not. When a new electronic part is fitted, the car connects and "talks" to a db in Germany and checks if the part is in the "stolen list". If not then you're good to go.

The problem with the discover pro is twofold. One, don't forget that it's not just the screen which is different but also the unit in the glovebox and some other hardware as well. Second, there is probably a reason you didn't get it in the US (just as we can't get it in Australia either). I believe the reason for Australia might be that maps for the Discover Pro satnav are not available for this country. It could be similar to the US.

A bunch of people in Australia have successfully managed to retrofit this to a base Golf that came with the Composition system but they are stuck with the satnav (search on vwwatercooled forums and you will find the thread).

Lastly don't forget....buying all that equipment new will be very expensive!

FYI, the discover pro is available in New Zealand, seen them on the showroom, I know of someone who owns one and I have a mk7 due very soon with a nav pro fitted.

We (NZ) use the same region maps as Australia, may not be a mapping issue?!?

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Got the Dis Pro in my used GTi . I personally hate it. Navigation and maps are very poor. Always use the TomTom on my phone.

Oh yes, by default screen may freeze or default to VW in Germany !!! what's that all about ????
I live in the UK

jimma_uk

Ready to race!
default to VW in Germany !!! what's that all about ????
I live in the UK

Occasionally mine will display the map of Ingolstadt when first switched on until it picks up the GPS signal. This normally happens when my car has been parked under cover at home for some time. It does pick up the GPS very quickly though, so normally only 2-3 seconds of Germany.

IMO the Discover Pro is vastly overpriced. However, it does finish the interior of the cabin off very nicely and every time I have used the nav, it has been very good. I like the completeness of it, hate wires draping over the car.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
If the unit isn't working properly then take it back to the dealer to fix. Don't assume the nav pro is poor just because yours doesn't work. The maps are good, the routes are good and it works as it should. I haven't had any issues at all with mine.

Print Screen

Does anyone know a company in the UK who would do the retrofit?
The usual ones mentioned on here don't seem to do it, for a MK7 anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk