GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disagreement with Bodyshop, advice need

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys I need some serious advice,

My car is currently getting some bodywork done to it. My trusted mechanic has recommended me to this particular bodyshop since he knew I am slightly tight on budget and the general low quality of work in my area (read, no matter where you go your car will require a respray once you move to a major city).

So Originally the guy quoted us 800 VS other place's minimum of 3000. Stuff to be done are, both door getting some dings and dent pulled, rocker panel getting some dings and dent pulled, sand the CF hood and fenders, repair rear-bumper, shave the new front bumper, and paint all the required pieces.

Then after one week he call asking for additional 800.

Then three week gone by with out news. I keep on asking for update and he keep on saying next week.

Finally I decided to stop by.

Good News, the panels look like new, the shave work is top notch, and the fiberglass repair is flawless.

Bad News, "I need an additional 500 for the CF work, and another 400 for everything else"

At first I though there was a mis-communication between my mechanic and the bodyshop since I left the country when the car was sent over to get the stuff done. Then the delay drag on until I couldn't wait anymore since my Stage III install has been push back so many time. He suggest I took the car to get whatever mechanically need done to it first. When I got the car the car was fully primed and ready to go.

More Bad news: There are FUCKING DUST IN THE PRIMER! how shitty is the guy's painting skill!? The driver side door for some reason no longer sit flush to the door sill.

Then I realize something was very very wrong, so when I drop the car off at mechanic for other mechanical stuff to get install both he and his apprentice both recall the bodyshop guy acknowledging that the CF stuff was included in the deal.

I already paid the the CF 500 dollar, asking for a 500 dollar refund and not paying the 400 doesn't seem possible. Yet I definitely don't want to pay him another 400 dollar that I "owe" him. I want to tell him no I am not going to pay, and you have to get my car done "properly". Yet I am worried that he might do some trick on my car, and my life is definitely worth a lot more than 400 dollar.....

One way I think I can do is play along with him, and let the car become completely done first, and then confront him, since I have the title to the car, the car is definitely mine and we don't have written contract so its his word VS my + mechanic's word in court. The car will also be done so I know he cannot play tricks with me.

Cliffs note

Bodyshop gave a quote, I was out of the country and didn't ask for a contract, he keep on increasing the price, No longer want to pay additional "fee" yet the car is not done. Need a diplomatic way of getting the car done, not having to pay the fee, and my car not vandalized.
So what do you guys recommend me do?

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
Did you sign anything before the work was done stating a agreed upon price?? If not pay the man and get your car back because if you don't he can hold it as long as he wants for not completing payment on services rendered

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Did you sign anything before the work was done stating a agreed upon price?? If not pay the man and get your car back because if you don't he can hold it as long as he wants for not completing payment on services rendered

Nope, I didn't sign anything because I wasn't the guy that drop it off....I guess I am toasted...

MDgti08

Go Kart Champion
Pay for what's done, have him fix the door, and get your car outa there. Take it on the chin that this guy is a dick and never go back to him again. Then find another shop to finish the job. I'm pretty sure that legally he can't do work on Ur car till u ok the price. So tell him to finish what u paid for.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Dude you post more bullshit!!! Fairlady xyz gtr whatever your name is!!

If you cannot post constructive comment then please don't post anything at all.

Pay for what's done, have him fix the door, and get your car outa there. Take it on the chin that this guy is a dick and never go back to him again. Then find another shop to finish the job. I'm pretty sure that legally he can't do work on Ur car till u ok the price. So tell him to finish what u paid for.

Thing is, at current state it is a lot cheaper to just pay the 400 dollar, since that's the only balance left. Other shop quote at least another 1k to finish the job.

MDgti08

Go Kart Champion
Have him sign a paper that says that the 400 extra will finish the job property or he will fix it free of charge. Then pay the 400.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Also don't accept the car back until it is up to your standards.

Scharf

Sinking suspicion that bodyshop guy may possibly be Korean?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Talk to your local Better Business Bureau as well. If he's a member, you could certainly bring this up with them and file a complaint. If he doesn't want the black mark on this record, he'll come to the table and you can discuss the matter of a refund. If he isn't a member, or doesn't come to the table, at least you can leave that "unsatisfactory" mark so others know.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Also don't accept the car back until it is up to your standards.

I would love to do that, but I am afraid he will charge me even more!:frown:

Talk to your local Better Business Bureau as well. If he's a member, you could certainly bring this up with them and file a complaint. If he doesn't want the black mark on this record, he'll come to the table and you can discuss the matter of a refund. If he isn't a member, or doesn't come to the table, at least you can leave that "unsatisfactory" mark so others know.

I will definitely do this, I am very sure he isn't a member of BBB but I will definitely contact BBB and let my friends know to stay away from this guy. My mechanic already declare he is never sending anyone there again.

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Okay, got an update. I drop my other car of there today since I have to drop my GTI there tmr morning and will need to drive something to school. They guy was just about to leave so I ask him about some of the defect I found.

Couple of hours later

I received a phone call telling me that he no longer want to work on my car and I can keep my 400....except the problem is that he did 50% work and took 90% of the money....Now I have to go haggle to get at least the paint (which I paid) and some of the money back....Next time I am just going to stick with the stealership, at least you know your car will be done.

GTIMKVFAST08

schmoser boser....
Car(s)
08 BMP GTI
Okay, got an update. I drop my other car of there today since I have to drop my GTI there tmr morning and will need to drive something to school. They guy was just about to leave so I ask him about some of the defect I found.

Couple of hours later

I received a phone call telling me that he no longer want to work on my car and I can keep my 400....except the problem is that he did 50% work and took 90% of the money....Now I have to go haggle to get at least the paint (which I paid) and some of the money back....Next time I am just going to stick with the stealership, at least you know your car will be done.

i dont care if u have to put a gun to someones head and blow ur cover to smithereens, you've got 36 hours to crack this basterd or you might wanna be thinking about another career.....