GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable Car-Net with VCDS?

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched through various threads where people have been able to kill Car-Net by removing the module behind the gauge cluster. That's major surgery that I'd like to avoid if possible.

I also saw someone had a list of VCDS mods in their sig and one of them was to disable Car-Net. I can't find that, but the question is: Can it be defeated via VCDS?

If someone could post that info here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't need my car/VW stalking me and keeping track of where I am and what's going on with my car. I'm getting monthly emails showing my exact mileage, the fact that my check engine light is on, etc. Thanks, but no thanks.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I inactivated some car-net related things in the Telematics module (75) using OBDeleven (see all my OBD mods in my signature), but I can't be certain I've "killed" it. My mods have switched off the Car-net LED in the overhead console and inactivated the buttons, but I can't know for sure if the system is disabled from calling home or getting tracked by big brother.

There is another option in the Gateway Module (19) for "coded" or "not coded" referencing the telematics module, which communicates with the Gateway Module, but I'm afraid to change that setting from "coded" to "not coded" for fear it may not be reversible. If someone wants to take this on and report your findings, I'm happy to point you to the specific line of code I'm referring to.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
I don't need my car/VW stalking me and keeping track of where I am and what's going on with my car. I'm getting monthly emails showing my exact mileage, the fact that my check engine light is on, etc. Thanks, but no thanks.

Then call and cancel the service lol. You don’t have to pay for the service if you don’t want to. With no subscription it doesn’t do crap but keep a light on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
Then call and cancel the service lol. You don’t have to pay for the service if you don’t want to. With no subscription it doesn’t do crap but keep a light on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is false. He may not have the subscription active... but that doesn't imply he is not volunteering information unknowingly.

Here you go:
Related article about privacy concerns:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/4/17303644/volkswagen-car-net-security-location-access

Here is a related thread:
How to kill CarNet
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9618

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
So not sure whats up, but for the first few months I had the green light, then it went orange after the free trial ran out or whatever. Stayed orange for a few months and then randomly one day I noticed it's not even illuminated anymore. Kinda strange, or simply the led died or something.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I used all of southpawboston's OBDeleven changes, but I couldn't find this one:

75 Telematics -> Long Coding -> Cellular_Module -> activated (change to "not activated")

It seems this one is important because all 3 of my buttons still work and the green light is still on. I wonder with the other changes if I'll get my monthly email. Anyone know where this is with VCDS?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I used all of southpawboston's OBDeleven changes, but I couldn't find this one:

75 Telematics -> Long Coding -> Cellular_Module -> activated (change to "not activated")

It seems this one is important because all 3 of my buttons still work and the green light is still on. I wonder with the other changes if I'll get my monthly email. Anyone know where this is with VCDS?

Hmm... here's a paste of a few lines before the Cellular_Module setting from my OBDeleven backup. I'm not sure how VCDS works, but with OBDeleven the backup file row ordering mostly matches the order in which you see the settings in the app. So if you see the phone number settings below in VCDS, the Cellular_Module should be soon after. The line #'s are not from OBDeleven, they're from my own database.

116 Number 1 for Info call:
117 8774193655
118 Number 1 for roadside assistance:
119 8774193654
120 Number 1 for roadside assistance:
121 8774193653
122 Number 2 for Info call:
123 8882915686
124 Number 2 for roadside assistance:
125 8882449811
126 Number 2 for roadside assistance:
127 8882449108
136 SMS number 1 for call for help:
137 60000004
140 Status of GPS antenna:
141 external
142 Test tel. number for roadside assistance:
143 0
161 Cellular_Module:
162 activated

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Played around with Vagcom on my Passat with it. You can turn off all or select parts of it. My annoyance was the green LED. All was possible.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
My 2018 doesn't have 75 Telematic, any idea where I can find the coding to disable Carnet? Like in "Southpawboston" instructions?

Base model 2018s lack GPS, Sat radio and Car-net, so I’m not surprised you don’t have the telematics module. It means you have nothing to disable in the first place. There’s nothing in your car to “phone home”.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Base model 2018s lack GPS, Sat radio and Car-net, so I’m not surprised you don’t have the telematics module. It means you have nothing to disable in the first place. There’s nothing in your car to “phone home”.

I have an 18 SE and it has satellite radio but no nav.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I have an 18 SE and it has satellite radio but no nav.

Right. SEs have Car-net + Sat radio, therefore they have the telematics module and can phone home.

Car-net + Sat radio had been standard on all trims until 2018 when VW further de-contented the MK7.5 and took away these features on the base S models. Even the Rabbit edition GTI lacks them.