GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel scandal - the consequences

GJK

Ready to race!
I have a petrol so not affected yet but that doesn't make me feel any better about VW.
This is how it works for me, I am looking for a car for a family member, I just crossed VW off the list.

Yeah, as a TSI owner I agree. We are all affected by the hit to the brand: all of sudden being an owner of a VW (any VW) is like being a smoker in the lobby of a children's hospital... or, worse, an owner of a Hummer!

Lots of repercussions for non-diesel VW owners: re-sale value, health of the company holding the warranty, trying to get service done or warranties items honoured while dealers spend all their time handling diesel recalls, etc..

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
The USA NOx is 40mg/km and the EA 189 engines were reported to be exceeding that by 10 - 40 times depending on urban or highway cycle.
Euro 4 and 5 was 250 and 180mg/km, and Euro 6 is 80 mg/km, petrol 60mg/km.
So looks like Euro 5 was probably exceeded and possibly Euro 4 which was in force until September 2009.
EA189 engines are all pre Euro 6. EA 288 engines are Euro 6.
1.6ltr engines weren't sold in in USA, but are essentially a small version of the 2ltr. Less powerful, so may be OK, but I can't believe that their NOx emissions would be significantly less.

Last edited:

marnie

Ready to race!
This could be pushed too far. VW could go into administration and be taken over by a company with no duty to current owners. VW needs to make amends without going down the pan.

Ripper83

Passed Driver's Ed
I was actually going to sell my TDI or trade it in before Xmas...I won't be able to give it away now! That's where VW have a problem potentially

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Dooms day scenario is that their gas engines are shown to be cheating emissions too.
Then we might as well start bicycling to work.

jonny123

Ready to race!
the 2008 to 2013 is in the us (mk6).
as far as I'm aware all mk7 golfs in uk conform to euro6 emissions.
vw use everything enmasse and it will be the same software in every tdi.

in Europe the test are set by the leaders (germans?) and are designed with loop holes.
our cars will conform to euro 6 if they test them all tomorrow as its the test that is flawed so we are just the same as before.

the down sides will be George Osborne will stick a 15% green tax on diesel.
new tests will be brought in, say euro 7 heaven, there will be the biggest diesel scrappage scheme ever in 2018-19 to crear pollution in time for the 2020 eu targets (the rest of the world will be watching).

if you don't take the scrappage scheme way out the consequences will be £500 a year road tax as happened to the Mondeo drivers last time.

it is not in any European countrys favor to do anything else but bury the current scandal.
vw, audi, seat and skoda would mean a lot of jobs and Germany would have to lay off the newly appointed Syrian work force.

we will be fine for now but for those of us that bought with solutions, we should have got the equity bit in writing....

vw will have to support the dealerships through as they need to move a serious amount of cars or start closing production lines.

the lease guys at the top will be upgraded and hopefully their cast offs will filter through to the rest of us and so on down the chain.
they have to try to balance the equity gap that is been created.

Hugo Nebula

Ready to race!
Who thinks this is just VW? I can't imagine their diesel engines are worse than those made by Ford, FIAT, GM, BMW, etc.

For a long time people have been saying that the real world fuel consumption bears no relation to the EU tests. Pretty much all the motor co's cars are off by similar amounts. Are we to assume that it's only VW that need to massage the figures to get their engines to comply, or is it more likely that they are just the first to get caught?

Sent from My Brain using My Fingers

Thedonkeycentrehalf

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my Golf 2.0tdi in May on Solutions. I really like the car and the plan is to keep it longer than the initial three year period. Being on Solutions actually gives me a little peace of mind at the moment,

Depending on the long term fall out of this issue, I will be carefully looking at resale prices and any other cost impacts when my three years are up. If it is having a significant impact on values then I may well choose to give the car back as at least I am guaranteed a final figure.

mauricegt

It's not 2008-2013 but 2013-2015 models that are in question by the way

theres another post on here - 500000 vehicles recalled - that has a list of the engines that are in question which are the e a 189 engines, they all appear to be the 110 140 and 170 hp models that suggest its mk5 and mk 6

on the VW Facebook page theres also a link to a statement that confirms the the e a 189 engine is the one in question

from what i can read it appears that the mk 7 150 and 184 models appear to be in the clear for now

id be curious how you find if you car has this engine because my engne code is crbc - nothing like the e a 189

mauricegt

I bought my Golf 2.0tdi in May on Solutions. I really like the car and the plan is to keep it longer than the initial three year period. Being on Solutions actually gives me a little peace of mind at the moment,

Depending on the long term fall out of this issue, I will be carefully looking at resale prices and any other cost impacts when my three years are up. If it is having a significant impact on values then I may well choose to give the car back as at least I am guaranteed a final figure.

same here i set my mileage to 15k due to a job change ill come in under my limits now so got the safety net there as a back up, i had same idea to keep at end of 3 years

overall i enjoy the car its nice to drive hopefully will get sorted if I'm affected

dazr321

Passed Driver's Ed
Really didn't want this to be my first post on a new forum.
I placed my order for a new GTD DSG 2 weeks ago, on solutions. I have bought the car through my business as I can get better benefits with it that way, it just suits me. Although people and VW themselves today have said the problems do not affect the current production model, I am still wary. Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. At this moment I am continuing with the order, although I will be seriously annoyed should the backside drop out of the diesel market and my car falls through the floor value wise.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
the 2008 to 2013 is in the us (mk6).
as far as I'm aware all mk7 golfs in uk conform to euro6 emissions.
vw use everything enmasse and it will be the same software in every tdi.

Not all Mk7 engines conformed to Euro6 until build week 22 ( mid May 2015 onwards)