GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel scandal - the consequences

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Happens all the time. Maybe not this specific situation but all sorts of highway and motor vehicle standards are done this way. I bet the allowed alcohol percentage in your state is .08% . Some states had higher levels and were allowed to keep them that way but they wouldn't get federal highway aid.

I grew up in Vermont, back in the 80's we resisted the change to 21 for booze and the Feds did the highway fund threat, it will be interesting to see how the Feds force this fix on TDI owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dosbox

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 UG 2-dr GTI
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/04...feat-device-enabled-cars-reuters-sources-say/

Reuters reported that two anonymous sources briefed on the matter agreed that Volkswagen Group would buy back nearly 500,000 2.0L engine diesel vehicles equipped with illegal defeat devices as part of an agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). A third person briefed on the matter added that VW Group would set up a compensation fund for people who had purchased the Volkswagen and Audi diesels, although that source did not specify how much each diesel purchaser would get from the fund.

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
I'd like to keep my TDI and take $5k for my 'troubles' lol

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I think VW threw in towel on EA189 cars, they just can't economically fix them. Those of us with EA288 cars will likely get a fix and some more cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I think VW threw in towel on EA189 cars, they just can't economically fix them. Those of us with EA288 cars will likely get a fix and some more cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the EA288 engines were not using the cheating device.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I thought the EA288 engines were not using the cheating device.

Yeah, so did I, turns out they cheated even with the new motor. My 2015 Golf with EA288 is a cheater. The fix will likely be to crank up the AdBlue. Just wondering how often it will need it with fix.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Happy buyback customer here. But it's two fold. Sure my new GTI that came out of it is great, but I liked the diesel option, and I like the idea of having that option in the future. Like the GTD was, and still is my dream VW. That chances of it coming to the states before were slim to none, but now it's just none...

On the note of inspections, here in Ohio TDI vehicles were immediately failed, they didn't even bother sniffing us, as they know we would pass. My plates expired and I couldn't renew them. My work around? Drove with expired plates for 4 months waiting for my buyback. VW said they wouldn't reimburse me for temporary tags so I didn't buy them as I felt that was morally wrong of them. I would've needed over $100 in temporary tags in that 4 month time frame.

I hope everyone who is affected feels like they came out on top in the end, because if not, fail on VW's part.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Temp tags can only be issued to a car one time in Ohio. 30 days & that is it. I'd have driven with expired tags too if I was in the same boat as you. You could have changed your address to a county that doesn't test & got your plates. Thankfully my county doesn't test.

I'm sorry for all you diesel owners who liked your cars & wanted to keep them. From what I'm reading folks are coming out OK on the buy backs.

The resale value of the gas engine cars fell because of what VW pulled. I'd sure be happy with a check for the amount of money my car lost in value.

Enjoy your GTI.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Temp tags can only be issued to a car one time in Ohio. 30 days & that is it. I'd have driven with expired tags too if I was in the same boat as you. You could have changed your address to a county that doesn't test & got your plates. Thankfully my county doesn't test.

I'm sorry for all you diesel owners who liked your cars & wanted to keep them. From what I'm reading folks are coming out OK on the buy backs.

The resale value of the gas engine cars fell because of what VW pulled. I'd sure be happy with a check for the amount of money my car lost in value.

Enjoy your GTI.
Danke! I love the outcome overall. $19k for a car I paid $22k for 4 years and 90,000mi earlier, not bad I'd say.

Temp tags are 45 days now in Ohio, and yes you can get them once before either having a waiver from a testing station, or from the EPA itself. I was told I could open a personal case with the EPA that would've possibly given me a 1 year wavier. However, after that year I would have to reopen another case all over again. Pain in the rear!

I had a friend with a Trumball address he said I could use. I had already made an appointment for my buyback at that point so I didn't bother. My license plate frame covers the tags anyways.