GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delete

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear! You still on the stock clutch?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
whuoh! Maybe your transmission is a lemon considering the synchro fail early on (unless you got a brand new transmission). Well at least you'll get a 6 speed now! I've mentioned this before, but I am personally super curious about a mk6 GTI 6mt swap into my car, so I'd love to hear how your swap goes.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Extra points for guessing the car behind your Golf in the garage.

Also, that sucks. I think this is the 2nd mq250 failure I've heard of.
I guess dreams of going is38 are shattered

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I spy a Mk1, let's see it!

6 speed swap should hopefully be straight forward, but will you need gti axles/spindles/hubs as well?

Ik it's already a big project, but might as well throw in an LSD before the six speed goes it with all the track use. That would be my plan as long as it's in the budget

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I hope so. The thing I'm wondering is with the clutch and flywheel setup. Will a GTI clutch/flywheel be needed or should it be done with a 5mt clutch and flywheel. And if the GTI clutch/flywheel can be used then what is stopping us 5mt guys from using that setup?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Hope your luck is about to change for the better! Interesting that your stock clutch has held up this good. Seems like the 5 spd clutches are holding up as good if not better than the GTI 6 spd clutches. Less power on most Golfs, but in general to allowing for power upgrades.

Question...since you and others have far more history with VW's than I. If you upgrade to a heavy duty clutch, this will essentially allow for more torque/stress to be put on your drivetrain. On previous generations, has this ever been an issue or have the transmissions been able to handle pretty much whatever you throw at it (within reason of course)? Just curious if I ever would go back to a manual. The primary reason I went with the auto trans when I purchased my Golf, I didn't want to end up spending a bunch of money on a clutch upgrade.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
My clutch started slipping 42k on it 32k making lots of tq on is20 swap 357wtq to be exact. Lot of brake boosting, racing agressive driving. I’m going southbend stg 3 daily kit. Sucks your trans is having issues. Synco failure seems like issue from hard shifting and stuff from track events, if you have those bits floating around in there, that could of easily scartched a seal and caused it to pour. Hopefully its just a seal. But i’ll update when I do clutch kit. 700$ for soutbend kit with all new hardware throwout bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and 19 lb steel flywheel seem like a pretty good price.

17S

What has to be done to the ECU to make it work with a 6 speed? Has this swap been done before?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The only electrical connector in the transmission, i.e. the only information the ECU gets about the transmission, is the speed sensor which is used for your speedo and a few other things. The reason you can see which gear you are in on your dashboard is because the ECU extrapolates what RPM you would be at in each gear for your given speed and compares it to your current RPM. If you notice sometimes it's just completely wrong. Changing to a 6mt would confuse the heck out of that system, but other than that it should have no affect.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Attachments

• img20171006_231523.jpg
    img20171006_231523.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 923