GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Decision time...JB4 vs. APR..

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
JB1 activates above 9psi. JB4 has access to pedal position as well do works quite a bit differently.

Thanks George for clearing up confusion and misconceptions.

I would think that since your car is still so new, JB4 would be a good route to go to maintain a warranty. I have also seen good number son JB4 and in the future you can sell it/ piggy back it or use it with water/meth.

TTU14

I went the JB4 route for the warranty aspect. My car is just a commuter, I don't track it or anything, and the power is perfect for me. I'm using a custom Map 6 with 93octane gas and so far no problems or drop in MPGs for a normal drive.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
I was one of the early users of JB1/JB4, but currently run a Cobb AP now. Here is my advice to you. It's a win/win situation. This is what i did, i ran JB1 then Jb4 while still in warranty, then when warranty ran out, i sold my JB4 and got the Cobb or in your case APR. U get to recoup most of your money back from sale of Piggyback to get a Tune. I still think George is the da man, he will take care of you.

I would never go with APR for simple fact that I cannot install or uninstall the Tune myself, if they allowed that, i would have gone APR from get go.

Last edited:

tknj99

Ready to race!
I went JB1 to JB4 upgrade kit.. If you do go the JB route, I would recommend going directly to the JB4 instead of incrementally upgrading which is the losing value proposition.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how close the two are in terms of performance.....108mph vs 110.....or 105mph vs 111mph.. significant, but meaningful differences in feel. I lean to JB4, but 105mph is not much more than stock at 101. George, with JB4 are you saying that you will feel difference at all levels of the pedal movement....partial and full throttle?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how close the two are in terms of performance.....108mph vs 110.....or 105mph vs 111mph.. significant, but meaningful differences in feel. I lean to JB4, but 105mph is not much more than stock at 101. George, with JB4 are you saying that you will feel difference at all levels of the pedal movement....partial and full throttle?

dude you're unebelievable, stop looking at the numbers. if you're worried about numbers, go APR or go protune. If you're worried about your warranty, go JB4. It's that simple. for what it's worth JB4 Map 2 is the same gains if not more than a Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU tune.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
GolfWang, relax. My time is valuable and I want to make a good educated choice. I don't want to waste my time on a JB4 if it's a marginal difference, but if the JB4 hangs very close to an APR then that would be a solid choice in my book. If it's a quick walk away, then not.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
GolfWang, relax. My time is valuable and I want to make a good educated choice. I don't want to waste my time on a JB4 if it's a marginal difference, but if the JB4 hangs very close to an APR then that would be a solid choice in my book. If it's a quick walk away, then not.

By telling anyone your time is valuable, you also tend to imply that theirs is not. Might not have been your intent, but just an fyi.

There is more to a tune than the 0-60 or trap times. If you're looking for specifics like those, go to the MK7 vs... forum, or check youtube for videos of APR vs JB4.

It really just boils down to if you want fast but keep warranty, jb4. Otherwise, a more comprehensive tune may be what you're after. You can go to the manufacturers websites yourself if you're looking for all the minutia of the individual strengths and weaknesses. Keep in mind different tunes perform slightly differently depending on your location, individual vehicle, and quality of gas currently in your tank.

Don't have the time? Go back to paragraph 3 above.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I once posed the question of percentage gain between JB4 and APR or similar tune and was given a theoretical 5-10% more gain in real world with the tune over the JB4.. but then the other thing to consider is that some of these tunes try to max out the turbo and that may not be a good thing when considering longevity, so i find that the JB ticks many of the boxes for me atleast...

oh and im a CEO who just made $142 in the past 5 minutes typing this up (j/k)

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
LOL. You guys are cracking me up:D. I really appreciate the feedback and everyone's time is valuable. And tknj99, ha, I actually am a CEO. I'm an older dog that just wanted to buy a car that was fun to drive and tinker with again. I just want it to be at least as fast as my old CLK550.