GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership Service Woes...

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Over the past year of owning my 2015 GTI SE DSG, I noticed quite a few things that need to be attended to under warranty (things that shouldn't exist in a CPO car). However, I have never taken a car to the dealer for service since I first started driving mainly do to the fact that I do not trust anyone to touch my car besides myself or people I know personally that do good work.

I bit the bullet and took my car to the dealer with a list if things to fix (every 5k miles I need to top off the coolant, gas cap error when warm, engine start button peeling to the point it pierced my finger, oil filler cap sweating on valve cover, A/C not blowing as cool as it used to, and the rear wind deflectors were coming off).

After 2 days of being at the highest rated VW dealer in the surrounding 2 cities, they called and said they have parts on order for the start button and wind deflectors, however they could not find a coolant leak or anything coming up on the scan about the gas cap/evap system. So the 2 major things I wanted fixed are untouched. The coolant is going somewhere, it doesn't just disappear. Regardless, they said the new parts will be here in a day and I should be back in my car by then.

The problem:
Today I get a call that I thought would be the dealer letting me know to come pick up the car, instead it was them saying the technician somehow managed to damage the paint somewhere around the back of my car while he was working on the spoiler/wind deflectors (the service rep doesn't know jack. They were supposed to send me an image of the damage and I am still waiting). They are having it sent to the bodyshop to get repaired and it should be back in the next 3 days.

So in the end, I am pretty pissed about this. The fact that they are repairing it for free doesn't matter, this should never happen in the first place (however I do appreciate that they owned up to it). Accidents happen from being careless and rushing. If they are being so careless as to mess up an easy job like replacing a trim piece, what else are they doing with peoples cars that no one knows about? This isn't even considering the fact that I am now without a car for another 3 days, by which point I will be back at school and work without a car to get around.

What would you do? I am going to email the Service Manager about the situation, but I am sure what my goal is to get out of it. At the very least I want them know that this is more of a problem than just fixing a scratch, its a testament to the poor reputations dealerships have come to have.

/end of rant :D

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Agree with above. It sucks, but shit happens. They are doing what any legitimate business would do in taking care of it. Be thankful for that.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The technician made a mistake and it’s being fixed. It happens. You can’t change it. You are overreacting. A lot.

Let me start at the end. If you need a car for school ask for a rental car. Dealers get a ridiculously low daily rate so they can easily absorb it. Working with any body part that's glued on, in my opinion, is always a problem.

As for the coolant, many of us have the same "issue" as you with "disappearing" coolant. It's not a completely closed system, as in hermetically sealed. If that were the case, the level would never change. There's a relief valve, I suppose in the cap that keeps the pressure from exceeding a certain PSI. It lets out coolant vapor. Do you detect the odor of coolant inside the car when the heater is on? The pressure test should detect a leaking evaporator or hose connections. I think we have a heater control valve in the hose going into the evaporator but I don't know if it's behind the firewall. They can also leak. What do you keep your level at? I started keeping mine right on the max line. BTW, if I kept it at the min and waited until 5,000 miles to top it off I'd probably get a low-coolant light before then. My MK5 and MK4 were the same way. If you lived in a cold climate you'd really be bitchin'.

adam1991

Banned
The technician made a mistake and it’s being fixed. It happens. You can’t change it. You are overreacting. A lot.

100% agreed.

And blaming "dealership"? The exact same thing could have happened at ANY shop--even the vaunted "independent".

A shop is a shop. It's a harsh, dangerous place. Things do happen. He should lighten up. This can, and will be, fixed--and he won't even remember it a month from now.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
people like you are the reason i stopped being a service advisor
i am guessing you have never made a mistake in your life.

Probably the worst customer service job ever. I can certainly understand getting out of the business. You would have liked seeing me when I came in. :) I bring a copy of my scan if there's a fault, and I explain any issues as clearly as possible. One thing is always hard - dealing with adviser who was never a wrench. I know the job is really part CS/part sales but when you deal with someone who doesn't even know the names of major car components or have the slightest idea what they do, dealerships might as well give you an iPad and have you just fill it out, then talk to one person about it who knows the cars.

They get paid well, at least in the States. I'm sure you've heard me rant about building a relationship with a particular service adviser and mechanic, at the least the adviser. It does help. They will give you job to a better mechanic. I also know the mechanic. I also try to get to know the service manager.

I know I'll get flamed for saying I tip the mechanic every time, and send the service manager a Christmas present. I also call VWoA and praise their service every time. I always follow up and do the surveys, giving the adviser a top rating, and mention the mechanic by name. I know it's their jobs, but do want them to treat you like just another job or more like a friend? I'm guessing people probably tip waitresses more.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
continuing the trend......props to the dealer for admitting.

minor leaks are tough to find.....

cb1111

people like you are the reason i stopped being a service advisor
i am guessing you have never made a mistake in your life.
Your customers are happy you left and your dealership's customer service improved the second you left.

That said, the problem here is in part a customer who doesn't understand his rights and has unreasonable expectations.

However, rather than saying "the customer is a PITA", you should be explaining the process and offering up a loaner.

If they can't find an error, then what should they do?

The OP's problem description (at least here) is very vague.

How many miles does he drive a year? How much does he need to top off?

If he drives 5k miles a year and the coolant reservoir is down a millimeter then it isn't a problem.

Gas cap error when warm. Every time? What makes it go away? If he can recreate it, then he should drive by the dealership with the error on.

What "diffuser"?

What the dealer could have done better:

Marked the coolant level and an arbitrary mark at which point the customer should contact the dealership.

They should have offered a loaner - either in-house or a rental UNLESS the customer is too young for the loaner insurance company. If he is too young, then offer some sort of credit or direct him to a rental company that will rent to him.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
However, I have never taken a car to the dealer for service since I first started driving mainly do to the fact that I do not trust anyone to touch my car besides myself or people I know personally that do good work.

You are disappointed as you are doing something for the first time and it messed up. But mistakes do happen. Its good to know that the dealership had an open communication about their mistake and offered a solution.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Your customers are happy you left and your dealership's customer service improved the second you left.

That said, the problem here is in part a customer who doesn't understand his rights and has unreasonable expectations.

However, rather than saying "the customer is a PITA", you should be explaining the process and offering up a loaner.

If they can't find an error, then what should they do?

The OP's problem description (at least here) is very vague.

How many miles does he drive a year? How much does he need to top off?

If he drives 5k miles a year and the coolant reservoir is down a millimeter then it isn't a problem.

Gas cap error when warm. Every time? What makes it go away? If he can recreate it, then he should drive by the dealership with the error on.

What "diffuser"?

What the dealer could have done better:

Marked the coolant level and an arbitrary mark at which point the customer should contact the dealership.

They should have offered a loaner - either in-house or a rental UNLESS the customer is too young for the loaner insurance company. If he is too young, then offer some sort of credit or direct him to a rental company that will rent to him.

maybe
worst job on the planet, dealing with whiny, entitled idiots, who blame you for all the problems in their lives.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Some dealerships are just horrible - I stopped taking my car in because every time it went in it came out with a different problem - scratched paint, screwing up my wax by washing it (even with a huge don't wash paper tapes to the dash, etc)....most of these guys don't give a crap about your car and just rush to get it out the door regardless of consequences.....I found a guy I love, that works in a dealership 75 miles away, but that is the only guy that does any work on my car now