GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership Performed Work Without Divulging What They Did

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
haha I feel bad for anybody that works on your car. Let it go dude. They fixed his car for free end of story. They didn’t have to do that. The guy should be grateful they took care of It. Not make a ridiculous post like this.

Why, because I expect them to follow the law and communicate like reasonable people? Oh, the horror..

I feel bad for anyone that has any business with you if you can't understand that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why, because I expect them to follow the law and communicate like reasonable people? Oh, the horror..

I feel bad for anyone that has any business with you if you can't understand that.

I agree with this. The dealer should have been forthcoming about what they did and ask if they should remove the parts they replaced that didn't fix the problem. I would have a lot of trust in a dealer like that.

cb1111

Wait a minute....

Did the dealership replace (and charge for) a part that wasn't defective.
Then replace (a more expensive) part that was actually defective

If that is correct, then the OP is in a bit of a quandary - and the dealership could be in a boatload of trouble.

To answer this question, we need to know if there is another dealer the OP can go to, because if he raises the issue, then he won't only burn his bridges, but blow them out of the water.

Is there another dealer?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wait a minute....

Did the dealership replace (and charge for) a part that wasn't defective.
Then replace (a more expensive) part that was actually defective

If that is correct, then the OP is in a bit of a quandary - and the dealership could be in a boatload of trouble.

To answer this question, we need to know if there is another dealer the OP can go to, because if he raises the issue, then he won't only burn his bridges, but blow them out of the water.

Is there another dealer?

No they only charged for the bad wheel bearing.

cb1111

Got it. So the wheel bearing WAS bad, but that didn't fix the problem, so they threw other parts at it until it was fixed.

Because they didn't have authorization to do anything but the wheel bearing, they didn't charge for the additional work.

But if the wheel bearing WAS bad, then why didn't they call the OP and say "we swapped out the bad bearing, but the problem remains. Do you want us to continue?"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Got it. So the wheel bearing WAS bad, but that didn't fix the problem, so they threw other parts at it until it was fixed.

Because they didn't have authorization to do anything but the wheel bearing, they didn't charge for the additional work.

But if the wheel bearing WAS bad, then why didn't they call the OP and say "we swapped out the bad bearing, but the problem remains. Do you want us to continue?"

No they replaced other things and none fixed the problem until the wheel bearing was replaced which fixed the problem and then didn't list all the other parts they changed that they didn’t charge for. The OP didn't realize his dash cam was on and knew about the parts they replaced that didn't fix the problem.

cb1111

No they replaced other things and none fixed the problem until the wheel bearing was replaced which fixed the problem and then didn't list all the other parts they changed that they didn’t charge for. The OP didn't realize his dash cam was on and knew about the parts they replaced that didn't fix the problem.
Got it. So they replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't need replacing.

The OP has a choice - just suck it up or burn bridges with the dealer by complaining to VWoA. While the parts they replaced would be under warranty had they failed, the question that probably bugs the OP is if they were installed correctly - and how to get the repaired if a failed install causes issues down the road.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Got it. So they replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't need replacing.

The OP has a choice - just suck it up or burn bridges with the dealer by complaining to VWoA. While the parts they replaced would be under warranty had they failed, the question that probably bugs the OP is if they were installed correctly - and how to get the repaired if a failed install causes issues down the road.

You're up to speed now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

No, they charged for the ball joint, not the wheel bearing or strut bearing. The wheel bearing ended up being the actual problem.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, they charged for the ball joint, not the wheel bearing or strut bearing. The wheel bearing ended up being the actual problem.

So they charged for the ball joint but it was the wheel bearing that fixed the problem?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So they charged for the ball joint but it was the wheel bearing that fixed the problem?

Yes, what it sounds like. They originally told him they thought it was the ball joint, they replaced the ball joint, which is the work that was authorized, it didn't fix issue. They replaced the strut bearing. Didn't fix issue. They replaced the wheel bearing, it resolved the issue.

Ball joint is the only repair on the invoice though.

Kudos to them for finding the issue and honoring the original price quoted for just the ball joint, but this still leaves the owner on the hook if there's a defect in the wheel bearing or strut bearing or an install error within the next 12/12,000.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, what it sounds like. They originally told him they thought it was the ball joint, they replaced the ball joint, which is the work that was authorized, it didn't fix issue. They replaced the strut bearing. Didn't fix issue. They replaced the wheel bearing, it resolved the issue.

Ball joint is the only repair on the invoice though.

Kudos to them for finding the issue and honoring the original price quoted for just the ball joint, but this still leaves the owner on the hook if there's a defect in the wheel bearing or strut bearing or an install error within the next 12/12,000.

That's why I suggested to him to admit he forgot the dash cam was on and ask for an invoice showing all the work even though they didn't charge for all of it. Probably too late now though.

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Shit happens bro. The fact you are so hell bent on this “law” and forgetting the fact is they did the most important thing and fix the mans car. Like I said it could have gone a lot different. Like a few people here have suggested maybe reaching out to the service department maybe it was never added to the repair order by accident or maybe the guy was rushing them to get his car back who really knows. Once again all these people are just human and mistakes can happen. Atleast this dealership fixes them! Paperwork is just paperwork I’d be more concerned with my car being fixed properly. I feel most would agree. Also look at it this way you push these places to hard especially when they did the right thing they may not be so nice next time or even refuse to work on your car. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles and in this case just gotta go about it the right way and I’m sure the dealership didn’t intentionally do this and will make it right.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Shit happens bro. The fact you are so hell bent on this “law” and forgetting the fact is they did the most important thing and fix the mans car. Like I said it could have gone a lot different. Like a few people here have suggested maybe reaching out to the service department maybe it was never added to the repair order by accident or maybe the guy was rushing them to get his car back who really knows. Once again all these people are just human and mistakes can happen. Atleast this dealership fixes them! Paperwork is just paperwork I’d be more concerned with my car being fixed properly. I feel most would agree. Also look at it this way you push these places to hard especially when they did the right thing they may not be so nice next time or even refuse to work on your car. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles and in this case just gotta go about it the right way and I’m sure the dealership didn’t intentionally do this and will make it right.

So what happens if the wheel bearing fails due to installation error and causes a wreck?

Sorry you're not smart enough to understand the legal implications to both the business and customer.

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
So what happens if the wheel bearing fails due to installation error and causes a wreck?

Sorry you're not smart enough to understand the legal implications to both the business and customer.

Well the next question is how could you prove that? Cars can break brand new. Your post makes no sense. That’s why the technician will test drive the car to verify everything is ok. With a problem like this most likely a decent 10 mile road test was done. If the wheel bearing was installed wrong you’d know it!

Btw I don’t really appreciate the insulting. Actually I’m very aware of both business and customer sides of this. All to well my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.