GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership Performed Work Without Divulging What They Did

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1111

Interesting, so they wouldn't try to charge me more by checking other things in the process?
If the issue appears to be covered under warranty, then you have no incentive in telling them what to fix. It only may allow them to say "it wasn't what you told us to look at, so we'll have to charge you.

Quite simply, I don't understand this discussion about bearings and warranty. AFAIK, there is nothing in the warranty that excludes them - they are not wear items like brakes or clutches - that are specifically excluded.

Let's take the example of our troll in the other thread with the condensation coming out of the tailpipe.

If we believe that story, then the OP in that thread told the dealership to do a compression check. Since that didn't show a problem, the dealership charged her. Assuming the car was under warranty, that poster should have just said "I have white smoke and liquid coming out of the tailpipe". If the dealership then decided to do tests, then they wouldn't have charged for those tests.

cb1111

If it requires more time yes they would.
Not really. If you have a verifiable concern (a noise for example) that the dealer can see or hear, then any diagnostics are on the dealers's (or rather VW's) bill.

There is a difference if the problem isn't covered by warranty, because then the dealer can (and should) charge for reasonable diagnostics.

If you're not under warranty, then there is no problem in saying "I suspect it might be the wheel bearing, but you guys are the experts"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not really. If you have a verifiable concern (a noise for example) that the dealer can see or hear, then any diagnostics are on the dealers's (or rather VW's) bill.

There is a difference if the problem isn't covered by warranty, because then the dealer can (and should) charge for reasonable diagnostics.

If you're not under warranty, then there is no problem in saying "I suspect it might be the wheel bearing, but you guys are the experts"

The dealer always charges 1 hour for diagnostic work and that charge is applied to the bill but if they find the problem and it's covered under warranty the charge is rescinded. If it's not under warranty they apply the charge towards the bill. If it takes longer than an hour the charge will be appropriate to the time it took and the same process is applied.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I agree completely. To me this is not a great thing to do. Recording someone without their consent is illegal in some places. So if you go to the dealer & say look at this & listen to what he said you could be setting yourself up for trouble. Just my .02, motor on.

To complicate things it’s in his car
How is wanting to know what work was done to your car anal retentive?

Its more of the vibe from page 1.

This paragraph:

“I provided them a printed letter with all my vehicle details and the services I was requesting. I washed my car, and detailed the engine bay, right before taking it to them. I like to do all this to show I care about the car with the hope that they take a little extra care themselves. It appears that does get noticed.”

You have to be anal retentive or have control issues to go to these lengths IMO.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
To complicate things it’s in his car

Its more of the vibe from page 1.

This paragraph:

“I provided them a printed letter with all my vehicle details and the services I was requesting. I washed my car, and detailed the engine bay, right before taking it to them. I like to do all this to show I care about the car with the hope that they take a little extra care themselves. It appears that does get noticed.”

You have to be anal retentive or have control issues to go to these lengths IMO.

You call it anal retentive. I call it smart. He even said it gets noticed. A mechanic will take more care of a car that is obviously cared for then he will a car that is a mess.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
You call it anal retentive. I call it smart. He even said it gets noticed. A mechanic will take more care of a car that is obviously cared for then he will a car that is a mess.

I think it’s projection.

A mechanic might care more because of the owners attention to detail, due to the fact that said customer might be a PITA or notice things some college student with a MK6 Jetta 2.Slow wouldn't. However the owner at my indie shop down the road takes care of my car like his own because he needs to maintain a good rep in the local VW scene AND my business is more valuable than it would be at a huge dealer. He’s also the owner, not an hourly employee.

I was making the point that finding a good indie and developing a relationship means more than cleaning your car before service or handing them a binder with it’s history.

Seems like wasted effort for a VW dealer service department that needs to get his car done quickly due to productivity quotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.