GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dab+ retrofitting, 2015 R. Info needed

Roth1

Hi everyone, my 2015 R (German car, imported to Norway in 2018) has the Discover Pro, Nav, rear camera, park assist and a lot of other amenities. But it doesn't have the DAB+ function. Norway has switched off the fm, and so No Dab = No radio.

Possible to upgrade?

If I find a mib 2 unit (is this the name?) to replace the one that sits in my glovebox, will it work? Plug and play, or need reprogramming?

I'd rather find a oem solution, instead of using a dab adapter.
Yes, I could use my phone with bluetooth. Yes, it's cheaper. But I'd like to upgrade the vw system

Thanks!

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hello,

I retrofitted an MIB2 with DAB+ last year.
See my post here at Drive2:
https://www.drive2.com/l/516039840651805657/

MIB2High with DAB+ will fit, but it has Component Protection, so it needs to be enabled by the dealer.

Then you will also need:
— 5m cable with Fakra female — female
— DAB antenna amplifier: 5G6 035 577 B
— Dual fakra connector: 6Q0 035 608 K

And then you can pull the cable from the MIB2 to the rear of your car, where you connect it like in my pictures.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hello,

MIB2High with DAB+ will fit, but it has Component Protection, so it needs to be enabled by the dealer.

Then you will also need:

And then you can pull the cable from the MIB2 to the rear of your car, where you connect it like in my pictures.

Is DAB not a FeC?

Roth1

Hello,

Then you will also need:

Wow, thanks a lot!
than I guess I will first of all need to take out the module unit in the glove box, to see what I have. Than buy the amplifier, the cable and the connector (these 3 I must buy anyway). Any vw dealer can re-program the unit?

tsubasa

Car(s)
Golf Variant MK7
Wow, thanks a lot!
than I guess I will first of all need to take out the module unit in the glove box, to see what I have. Than buy the amplifier, the cable and the connector (these 3 I must buy anyway). Any vw dealer can re-program the unit?
Hi, I would also like to retro fit DAB+ on my Golf Variant 7 with MIB2.5. I can't believe it doesn't come with DAB. Was your successful? I would also like to know where I should connect all the cables on the module in the glove box.
Did you have to go to a VW dealer to get it re-programmed?

tsubasa

Car(s)
Golf Variant MK7
Hello,

Then you will also need:

Hi Chillout,
I have checked your page and it was helpful. Do you have more step by step procedure for the work by chance? I've done the audio system replacement on my old car from 90's before but still a newbie here.
I would like to know more on the cabling of the one with Fakra female-female. Do I need to replace the existing cable(s) with this and where this cable needs to be connected.
I googled a bit but the most relevant hit was your page and others are in German which I do not speak and most of them are showing how to replace the infotaiment system with DAB+ but not replacing amplifier.
I have MIB2.5 Dicover Media so I believe all I need to do is to replace the amplifier and possibly coding like you showed.
Thanks in advance!

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Thanks @tsubasa !

You don't need to replace any existing cables, just add the single new one.
On one end it will go into the back of the MIB2 unit. Make sure you have one with DAB+, because it's not possible (yet) to add DAB+ to a unit that doesn't have it.
The small amplifier in the rear hatch area replaces the original one. You will go from one with a single input to one with 2 inputs.
My biggest struggle during the installation was the coding... I was in an area with bad reception, and coudn't test it right away if everything was working, so I thought it was because of my wrong coding o_Oo_O

tsubasa

Car(s)
Golf Variant MK7
Hi @Chillout

Many thanks for your quick reply.
I see. I think I now understand. Replace the existing amplifier that is only for FM with the new one with 2 inputs (FM and DAB+ I suppose). Connect the new cable to the additional input on the new amplifier, run the cable to the front to connect it to MIB.
I will have to check if MIB2.5 I have is equipped with DAB+ input...

I'm fairly confident to do the installation of the new amplifier and the cable with your instruction and photos but I wouldn't want to touch the coding myself so I will have to ask a VW dealer or a garage to do it for me...

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Hi @Chillout , I am little bit confused by which fakra cable to buy as all of them are single. Does it need to be dissasembled and plugged in that two pole fakra connector?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@B3mt1 : I suspect that @Chillout is not suggesting that you disassemble the FAKRA connectors - but rather that you buy a second lead.

You need to run the second FRAKRA lead from the extra connector on the 5G6035577B aerial which is terminated at the other end into the DAB plug on the MIB:

Look at the connector HERE

Don

Last edited:

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Are there any details on how to get the cable to the trunk lid through that boot connector?