GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DAB no picking up signal

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Got a pro Nav Gen 2, AM and FM work fine all the time. DAB comes up with an 'antenna' logo with a line through it (no signal indication) when the car has been left for a while and none of the stations pick up a signal under DAB!

It's as if the D.A.B (during the boot process) forgets something.....if you do a soft reset by holding the pwr button down for appox 15 seconds it usually sorts the problem or if you do a soft reset when it is working properly it will create the problem so in my opinion it's a DAB 'bootloader' issue.

I've done several soft-resets and factory reset via VCDS as well...even unplugged the battery....no fault codes in relation to the Infotainment (5F) ....help please! I'm lost! Car is 3 months old.

Unit is on: 0343 software
part number: 3G0 035 020 B

Last edited:

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't think it's a problem with the dab radio more that the dab signal from source itself isn't that reliable yet. When I'm driving most days there comes to a point on my journey where the dab dies then 3 miles down the road comes back again. It's always the same spot every day. There is other places as well even in town the signal goes but as soon as I clear that spot it comes back. I always find every time I drive past a wifi enabled coach or bus the dab instantly cuts out but soon as I'm past it comes back again.

For me personally dab is more reliable in town but certain parts of the countryside that still have black spots.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Yep my MIB2 in my 2016 GTD does this too.

Not sure if you also have the issue where sometimes the screen comes on but there is no sound or no screen but sound and the screen still bleeps when pressed? Soft reset usually sorts it.

I had a firmware update done on it at a few weeks old and doesnt do it half as frequently but its not entirely fixed.

I drove somewhere the other day and had no DAB, dont think a soft reset even sorted it out...though next time I drove the car it was fine.

Ironic as MIB2 whilst on the whole better seems even more bug laiden than the MIB1 it replaced! I have MIB1 on a Skoda Octavia and its arguably more reliable.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Yep my MIB2 in my 2016 GTD does this too.

Not sure if you also have the issue where sometimes the screen comes on but there is no sound or no screen but sound and the screen still bleeps when pressed? Soft reset usually sorts it.

I had a firmware update done on it at a few weeks old and doesnt do it half as frequently but its not entirely fixed.

I drove somewhere the other day and had no DAB, dont think a soft reset even sorted it out...though next time I drove the car it was fine.

Ironic as MIB2 whilst on the whole better seems even more bug laiden than the MIB1 it replaced! I have MIB1 on a Skoda Octavia and its arguably more reliable.

I can't get any stations on DAB when it happens...and its from a cold start up (e.g a boot up with Volkswagen splash screen logo)
So to get it to work I need to do a soft reset, that doesn't always work first time neither.Everything else works fine....are you Pro Nav 8 inch? What firmware are you on?

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
I think you guys are having drop outs where as my unit won't pick up anything at all... Here is a video guys....does yours do this?

Last edited:

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
Under the dab list select a London transmitter of a station no an Essex transmitter if you can. I live around 40 miles outside of London yet for example if I select capital Basinstoke my nearest transmitter the signal is poor until I'm out of the London range. Stupid really as the Basinstoke transmitter is less than 20 miles away yet till I'm fully out of range of the London one it won't pick up a good signal from it.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Under the dab list select a London transmitter of a station no an Essex transmitter if you can. I live around 40 miles outside of London yet for example if I select capital Basinstoke my nearest transmitter the signal is poor until I'm out of the London range. Stupid really as the Basinstoke transmitter is less than 20 miles away yet till I'm fully out of range of the London one it won't pick up a good signal from it.

How do you do that? (I can't find anything in settings)

I've tried all stations, Essex ones and the best to try is Radio 1 (as the coverage is usually flawless).

When you get the unit in this 'state' not a single station can be picked up, whether it's stored as a preset or not...even by doing a scan....nothing! It's literally as if the antenna is disconnected!

ChrisK

Ready to race!
I don’t use the radio much myself but there is a setting somewhere in the box for the radio to automatically switch to the FM variant of the DAB station where the DAB signal is weak, well I assume that’s how it works and if there is no variant then silence can be golden.:)

While the radio is on select Set Up > Advance settings > and tick the box that says “Automatic DAB – FM switching.

This setting could be why some have drop outs while other don’t.

BTW this is for the standard Infotainment unit but I assume the deluxe units have this setting too.

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
I've already tried that and if I have that function enabled (DAB to FM switching) it tries to pick up FM if no DAB is being received but it's broken/intermittent, and what I mean by that is it drops in and out of trying to switch fromDAB to FM reception, as a result you get broken dialogue simply because you can get FM reception fine but the DAB isn't getting anything so it tries switching and as a result you get broken sound/music/dialogue from whatever station you have preselected...typically BBC R1 as an example as it transmits FM and DAB and is country wide available.... Hope that makes sense?

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
How do you do that? (I can't find anything in settings)

I've tried all stations, Essex ones and the best to try is Radio 1 (as the coverage is usually flawless).

When you get the unit in this 'state' not a single station can be picked up, whether it's stored as a preset or not...even by doing a scan....nothing! It's literally as if the antenna is disconnected!

The 2nd button from the left marked stations, when that is pressed it will show the stations under each multiplex, you should certainly pick up the bbc national , D1 and SDNCL (D2) the regional and local multiplexes are on a lower power.

evilfish5000

Passed Driver's Ed
As a anti said its under the dab list and when you press the region that's when the stations show individually. Like the pic below. Also do a dab postcode search to see what stations are available in you area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
When I go into that screen they all show the 'no signal' mast logo next to EVERY station! Irrespective of region etc. Nothing works

As I said all along its NOT a reception thing....I believe it's the DAB Bootloader that's not booting up correctly which means I get NOTHING on any stations that are DAB! Unless I do a soft reset which invariably sorts the issue....if somewhat temporarily. I have Gen 2 Discover Pro Nav part number: 3G0 035 020 B with software 0343. Need to know if anyone else has this fault please. Thanks

Last edited:

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
It's not coverage! I can get the stations ....all of them loud and clear.....but 50percent of the time when I boot up from cold (GTD Boot logo appears at start up) the thing will either pick up every station, or guess what......nothing! All of them show the antenna logo with a diagonal line through it....this depicting 'no connection/signal'

Imagine a driver on a PC not loading correctly upon boot up of a windows PC...what will happen to that device....it won't work...plain n simple.