GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom performance Alignment Question

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have a stock '16 MK7 Autobahn. What can I expect a sport alignment to feel like?
Won’t feel like much because the factory hardware won’t dial in much improvement. The limiting factor is front negative camber (or lack there of) that the front suspension is bound to on stock setup.
Aftermarket Strut top mounts with more negative camber,, aftermarket lower control arms, and a couple other tricks can increase the negative camber to where the sidewalls of the tires up front can work better.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Ok. This guy today was telling me its not so much camber but toe. He took his wife's M series BMW SUV in and had it done. He said the difference was amazing.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I saw that thread earlier this morning but they're using camber plates, so Its not applicable to my stock car. No?

rogmac1175

Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Won’t feel like much because the factory hardware won’t dial in much improvement. The limiting factor is front negative camber (or lack there of) that the front suspension is bound to on stock setup.
Aftermarket Strut top mounts with more negative camber,, aftermarket lower control arms, and a couple other tricks can increase the negative camber to where the sidewalls of the tires up front can work better.

Can any of these mods be done without adding aftermarket parts? Can I simply go to an alignment shop and ask them to do a sport alignment with these specs?

Also - does anyone see any value is a "ballasted" alignment where I am sitting in the driver's seat when they do it? I am a big guy - close to 6'4, 280, and I feel like since I am the only one ever in the car (my wife has a Tiguan we use as a daily when we are together), it may help. Has anyone tried this?

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Can any of these mods be done without adding aftermarket parts? Can I simply go to an alignment shop and ask them to do a sport alignment with these specs?

Also - does anyone see any value is a "ballasted" alignment where I am sitting in the driver's seat when they do it? I am a big guy - close to 6'4, 280, and I feel like since I am the only one ever in the car (my wife has a Tiguan we use as a daily when we are together), it may help. Has anyone tried this?
Toe can be set to pretty much anything you’d want with the factory stuff. Rear camber is adjustable, but front is not.

I have had many alignments done while sitting in the car. Not all shops will be willing to let you do this though. In fact, not all shops will align a car to anything other than factory settings. They’re worried about liability for the former, and customers coming in complaining about weird drivability and tire wear for the latter. Best to find a place that deals with autocrossers and track drivers - most of this will be well understood to a place like that.