GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS catted-downpipe STINKS! (literally)

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Been about 2 weeks now, checked for leaks but can’t find any. The exhaust smell in cabin is horrible. At idle I might as well have routed the exhaust into the car. Anyone else have this experience? I have the catted version..

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Did you confirm the downpipe oring is on?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It does take awhile for a new DP to essentially "burn off" and break in....common smell at first.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Can confirm, the catted CTS downpipe isn't that great for cutting down smell.

Even if 100% properly installed and sealed up, it still will smell like you describe.
The high flow cat + the position of it being further back means it doesn't get to proper operating temp very quickly if at all, so it's not all that efficient as a catalyst.

It was one of the big reasons I moved to an IE downpipe. The cat in the factory location gets a lot more exhaust heat.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Mine stinks up the garage during cold starts but I've never had a problem smelling it in the cabin, even when driving around with all the windows down

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had people tell me that my car stinks. I just say thank you and drive away.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
My Unitronic one is pretty money, I don't smell a thing - sounds pretty great too.

I had an HPA DP with a 100 cel cat (I think) on my MK6R and I could smell gas when idling.

DiNaMo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R
In the limited driving I've had with my new Unitronic catted DP I think I've caught maybe two wiffs of what I assume is DP related smell but I don't expect it to be a recurring issue.

Biggest issue for me is the near immediate CEL and trying to fix that

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In the limited driving I've had with my new Unitronic catted DP I think I've caught maybe two wiffs of what I assume is DP related smell but I don't expect it to be a recurring issue.

Biggest issue for me is the near immediate CEL and trying to fix that
You have to get a tune that turns off the CEL.