GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Krytox order has shipped but no ETA yet. Hoping it gets to my mailbox in Washington before the weekend. Have to cross the line for a Mother’s Day gift so hoping to get both at once.

BTW - some ridiculous prices out there for this product. And especially the shipping options to Canada. The best price I found was via Google (link below). $19.99 and free US shipping.

https://www.google.ca/amp/store.tmcindustries.com/Krytox-GPL-205-Grease-05-oz-tube_p_29.html?amp=1

For some reason, tmcindustries doesn’t seem to list the 0.5 oz tube “directly” on their site.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Krytox order has shipped but no ETA yet. Hoping it gets to my mailbox in Washington before the weekend. Have to cross the line for a Mother’s Day gift so hoping to get both at once.

BTW - some ridiculous prices out there for this product. And especially the shipping options to Canada. The best price I found was via Google (link below). $19.99 and free US shipping.

https://www.google.ca/amp/store.tmcindustries.com/Krytox-GPL-205-Grease-05-oz-tube_p_29.html?amp=1

For some reason, tmcindustries doesn’t seem to list the 0.5 oz tube “directly” on their site.

Explains why I could not find the .5oz 205, only the 105.

Hammo72

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for highlighting this for me my car been creaking didn't have anything suitable so tried Highstyle Tyre shine it is silicone based and protects rubber so thought no harm in trying....
2 weeks in no creaking well happy and much cheaper than the alternatives.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for highlighting this for me my car been creaking didn't have anything suitable so tried Highstyle Tyre shine it is silicone based and protects rubber so thought no harm in trying....

Curious, where did you apply that? Inside the felt door-top strip, on the felt, both?

Hammo72

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious, where did you apply that? Inside the felt door-top strip, on the felt, both?

Just inside the felt door strip lifted it up wiped tiny bit along (not on felt) don't mind if i have to do it once a month far cheaper than the alternatives i have seen so far, more to the point i had some in the Garage....lol

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up the Krytox, just trying to find some time to apply.

Suggestions on what to use to clean the Gummi Pfledge out from the inside the door top seals?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Picked up the Krytox, just trying to find some time to apply.

Suggestions on what to use to clean the Gummi Pfledge out from the inside the door top seals?

Since you're going to lube it right back up, I'd think rubbing alc and a couple q-tips.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Cleaned up inside of the door top seals with some rubbing alcohol and cotton pads. Then applied some Krytox. A little goes a long way. Used rubber gloves. Made sure all of the inner rubber surfaces were greased. Also did the rear seal on the sunroof.

For science sake, I did not apply any to the felt areas, yet.

Quick drive around the block and so far so good, for the most part. Sunroof, and windows were silent, with the exception of the driver window.

I’m going to evaluate further on my drive to/from work tomorrow. Weather has been warm here lately so should be a good test.

I’m hesitant to put this stuff on the felt areas, unless I know it’s going to help.

gtwhy

Passed Driver's Ed
Really glad I found this thread. I had front end noise that I thought was related to the front suspension, but i think it was just creaky door seals all along. As per the OP, i splayed out the inner and outer portions of the seal. I lubricated the inside with Shin-Etsu silicone grease as it's an excellent product for this type of application. I also happened to have most of a tube just laying around.

I'll keep driving and report back if it stays quiet.

Tigsel

Ready to race!

Don't use tire shine products. It'll damage weatherstrippings and seals.

Cleaned up inside of the door top seals with some rubbing alcohol and cotton pads. Then applied some Krytox. A little goes a long way. Used rubber gloves. Made sure all of the inner rubber surfaces were greased. Also did the rear seal on the sunroof.

For science sake, I did not apply any to the felt areas, yet.

Quick drive around the block and so far so good, for the most part. Sunroof, and windows were silent, with the exception of the driver window.

I’m going to evaluate further on my drive to/from work tomorrow. Weather has been warm here lately so should be a good test.

I’m hesitant to put this stuff on the felt areas, unless I know it’s going to help.

You can apply it on felt areas no problem.

Really glad I found this thread. I had front end noise that I thought was related to the front suspension, but i think it was just creaky door seals all along. As per the OP, i splayed out the inner and outer portions of the seal. I lubricated the inside with Shin-Etsu silicone grease as it's an excellent product for this type of application. I also happened to have most of a tube just laying around.

I'll keep driving and report back if it stays quiet.

Good product but doesn't last nearly as long as Krytox. I still have a tube that I bought at Honda dealership, yes Honda sells it as their OE lubricant.

gtwhy

Passed Driver's Ed
Good product but doesn't last nearly as long as Krytox. I still have a tube that I bought at Honda dealership, yes Honda sells it as their OE lubricant.

I know, it has a Honda part number and everything.

So I take it you've used Shin Etsu for your Golf's door seals? How long did it last? Can you provide some evidence in support of the durability of Krytox (which is absurdly expensive) vs Shin Etsu? SE has worked well for everything I used for on my old Integra, such as door seals and sunroof rails, and for some random household applications.

I don't see the point in spending $$ on another lubricant unless you have something to back it up.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I know, it has a Honda part number and everything.

So I take it you've used Shin Etsu for your Golf's door seals? How long did it last? Can you provide some evidence in support of the durability of Krytox (which is absurdly expensive) vs Shin Etsu? SE has worked well for everything I used for on my old Integra, such as door seals and sunroof rails, and for some random household applications.

I don't see the point in spending $$ on another lubricant unless you have something to back it up.

Different chemical compositions. Krytox isn't silicone and sticks much better to the surface. Once applied it is extremely difficult if not impossible to remove it. Silicone can be removed much easier. I haven't used Shin-Etsu on my Golf but I've used it on other cars I've owned. I can't provide any supporting evidence except the fact that I usually apply Krytox once and I don't have to re-apply it again while I own the vehicle (3-5 years). Shin-Etsu needed to be re-applied more often (5-6 months). I mean you'll get somewhat the same results with both products, it's just one would need to be re-applied more often.

Here is some good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
A couple of noise free commutes yesterday and today. So great. Krytox is doing the trick so far.

Just the slightest of noises from driver door top still, when window closed full tight. Will trial and error patches of Krytox on small areas of the felt top at a time, to find the specific spot, instead of doing the whole thing.

Will report back should the noises return.

Anyone have that Honda part number?

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone lubed in here with success? I haven’t bothered to try yet but for those of you who have said that your noise goes away when your window is not all the way up I’m wondering if this is the actual culprit.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Iz6jgNa

Is that the door top felt flap? Then yes, that is were I applied the Krytox. Inside the flap.