GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cracked windshield after wiper replacement?

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I had the car at the dealership today for a battery replacement under warranty. They replaced the battery without any hassle and I had them change the wipers as well since it needed to be done. I get home and see a large crack in my windshield that starts at the base with no sign of any chip or impact. I am 99.99% sure it wasn't there this morning when I jump started the car to take it in. It just seems like too much coincidence but I did see a similar issue on a brand new car:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/8pmvr4
IMG_0169.JPG

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
I really think they caused it but at this point it doesn't really matter. I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't tell me about it and just hoped I wouldn't notice. I have 0 deductible glass but replacing a windshield now opens up a whole new world of possibilities to go wrong. Warranty is almost up and I will have no reason to ever go back.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I have never seen them replace a wiper, but I would imagine they would put the wipers in service position to change them. So if they were clumsy with the arm, it would snack the glass at the vertical position, not the horizontal position.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I really think they caused it but at this point it doesn't really matter. I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't tell me about it and just hoped I wouldn't notice. I have 0 deductible glass but replacing a windshield now opens up a whole new world of possibilities to go wrong. Warranty is almost up and I will have no reason to ever go back.

I recommend you go with OEM glass. I've had mine (old MK7 GTI I had) replaced by SafeLite and they did a good job. I removed the wipers before they started the work.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
lol i stopped at you had the dealer replace your wipers lol it literally takes 0percent effort to change them by yourself,

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yep...whilst changing the blades the empty arm came down & smacked the glass......

did that years ago in a hurry....🤦‍♂️

.Now I never change a blade without a old thick curtain down on the glass...😎

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I have never seen them replace a wiper, but I would imagine they would put the wipers in service position to change them. So if they were clumsy with the arm, it would snack the glass at the vertical position, not the horizontal position.
That was my initial thought; they should put them into the service position (although there’s no guarantee they would), as it makes the job of replacing the wiper blades much easier. If the dealer that the OP used can‘t follow the correct procedure for a simple job like replacing wiper blades and they damage the windscreen in the process, I’d certainly not be going back to that dealer again.

I wouldn’t ever ask the dealer to replace my wiper blades though - I do it myself as it literally takes no more than a few minutes, it’s a very straightforward job once the wiper arms are in the service position and you can choose an alternative brand of blades if you’re not happy with the OEM version.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I doubt you can do wipers w/o being in service position.

I would put wipers in service position (shut off car, single press down on wiper stalk) see where the other wiper end falls) one thing to consider is there is no evidence of impact from wiper hitting it.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I doubt you can do wipers w/o being in service position.

I would put wipers in service position (shut off car, single press down on wiper stalk) see where the other wiper end falls) one thing to consider is there is no evidence of impact from wiper hitting it.

I have done it a couple of times with success.. because I do not like wiping the glass with no fluid as it can scratch the surface, and did not want to work on a slippery wet blade had I sprayed water on it for the wet wipe.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
The wiper arm slammed down on the glass. I actually did this myself once. I was so pissed I did not put a towel down. But as I was changing the blade I bumped the arm and slammed down on the glass and cracked it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did that on my Corrado years ago. Never made the same mistake again. Always put a towel down.