GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant levels

jamessnewman

Just checked the fluid levels whilst doing the washer fluid and noticed the coolant level just above the minimum line. The car is about ten months old with around 5500 miles on the clock. The car had been left overnight. I can't think what the levels were when I last checked but not sure if that is the usual level or if it should be up at the max. What kind of levels are you guys running with? Will top up if required but not sure if it's mean to be around that mark?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Many have reported such a drop. I checked mine and found it to be just below minimum after seven months ownership - so its not unusual.

You need to top up with pink coolant - this is not easy to find (its expensive for a small amount from VW) but I found an on-line seller and bought a litre.

jamessnewman

Just took it on a run and re-checked levels. Now sitting about halfway between min and max. I'm not sure whether to top up as I'm sure I read somewhere that new VW's were being supplied with coolant at the min level?

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
As MarkV reports my coolant also dipped well under the min level. I wonder if air gets trapped in the system when it's filled at the factory.

If you haven't done it already I'd check the oil as well. Its widely reported on here that the MK 7 diesel engines tend to consume oil quite quickly, mine has. I don't know if the high consumption is feature of the engine running in or it will be on going.

Mark V - other than the dye is there a difference between green and pink anti freeze?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Chris, its designed to last longer than the blue stuff as far as i am aware.

Ethereal

Ready to race!
Its normal for VW's to have leaky water pumps, Even if you get it replaced it will end up being the same thing, just monitor it and fill it up as needed with distilled water not tap water or the special VW coolant, not regular from autozone,

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I see, did you just top up or take back to the dealer?

I topped up myself. I splashed out on 4 litres of Castrol Edge I'll have the car for a few years so it made sense to bulk buy the oil.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
You should use the pink G-13 coolant recommendable mix 50/50% water G13.

But to be honest, if it’s just the volume of a “coffee cup” say 2 decilitres, you can just add water. In the long run buy a bottle of G-13 from your dealer. Not specially expensive.

...and I have aslo added a small quantity G-13 over a years time into our two MK7 Golfs :D. As you guys say - Normal.

/Peter

jamessnewman

Thanks guys, what sort of levels should I expect after taking the car for a spin with engine up to temperature. Around the max line or a bit below?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

Ethereal

Ready to race!
This is normal for VW's. Check your coolant level every 2000 miles and top off with distilled water as necessary and you wont have this problem.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
This is normal for VW's. Check your coolant level every 2000 miles and top off with distilled water as necessary and you wont have this problem.

Haha every 2000 miles. Good advice however I would be inclined to think that one looks under their hood for any reason at least every 2000 miles!

So just... Glance at your coolant whenever you pop your hood ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk