GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental vs Michelin

ReflexGTI1

Ready to race!
Opinions please.

The Michelin PSS's are currently ~186 a piece on tire rack while the Continental Extreme Contact DW are ~135 a piece (on sale)

Question, are the PSS THAT much better so as to justify another 51 dollars per corner?

I've owned several sets of continentals and loved them all. Never Michelin though.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Depends of what you do with your car.

I would always spend the 51 Dollars a wheel more. Definitely.

ReflexGTI1

Ready to race!
Depends of what you do with your car.

I would always spend the 51 Dollars a wheel more. Definitely.

I want traction lol. Until 3rd gear it's a shit show. Between the OE potenzas and the 3rd world Belgian roads, it's unbearable. Imagine the scene from the movie Cars where Mater is driving on the freshly paved road that Lightning McQueen did in a hurry.. That's Belgian roads. Pot holes, fragmented concrete, concrete/asphalt mix, etc. Friends here get alignments done every 6 months. Like get alignment and schedule the next one at check out..

Sorry I'm rambling... Both tires have great reviews on TR. Thanks for the input!

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
If you want traction = PSS

The best sporty summer tire you can buy nowadays. In addition they are silent, fuel economy is great and they last relatively long for the amount of grip you get. I drove them on track as well and even there they are usable. If you are not going for personal bests. ;)

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
I love me some MPSS. I know it's become cliched to say that, but they really are a great tire.

The only draw back, with the Racecomp Engineering T0 coilovers on my FRS, the ride was a little rough at first. I had to air them down to 31 psi from my normal 38-40 to get decent ride comfort. Even there they still transmit plenty of information without being loud or vibrating the car.

Ray1340

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I have had two sets of PSS on the A4, in my opinion they wear fast.
With a GTI now, I'm thinking of going with the extrem contact sport.
Any advice?? Don't get me wrong, the PSS are fantastic.

Last edited:

fsr1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had both Extreme Contact DW's and Bridgestone S-04's on my MK5. I much preferred the Bridgestone's.

That said, I just bought my MK7 and and along with, my first set of Pilot SS's. They were on sale in January. Can't wait for the weather to change so I can have them swapped over. (Michigan)

bpw

Ready to race!
I can't comment on wear as I haven't/didn't have either long enough. However, I did have the continetal extreme contact. My retailer was kind enough to allow me to return them. I'm now on the PSS and yes it was worth the price difference IMO.

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
You know that both companies have released new versions of each tire right? I would strongly recommend the new extremecontact sport over the DWs as it's not that much more expensive and a superior tire in almost every way (check the reviews). Same with the new Pilot 4s (except the only size they have in 18" is 245/40)

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
I want traction lol. Until 3rd gear it's a shit show. Between the OE potenzas and the 3rd world Belgian roads, it's unbearable. Imagine the scene from the movie Cars where Mater is driving on the freshly paved road that Lightning McQueen did in a hurry.. That's Belgian roads. Pot holes, fragmented concrete, concrete/asphalt mix, etc. Friends here get alignments done every 6 months. Like get alignment and schedule the next one at check out..

Sorry I'm rambling... Both tires have great reviews on TR. Thanks for the input!

Actually if your roads are like that I would strongly recommend the DWs (if you're not considering the new EC Sport). I'm running them myself and the way they absorb potholes is unlike any other max performance summer tire I've ever used. Get the tallest sidewall you can fit (225/45 if you're on 7.5" wide Austins, I'm running 245/40 on 8.5" wide rotiforms), run lower pressure based on the increased load rating (if you haven't heard about this check this link: https://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/589830/23447320/1378330097907/Discount+Tire+inflation.pdf, and watch in amazement as your car no longer feels like it's getting destroyed every time you hit a pothole. Yes, the dry grip isn't quite at the level of PSSs, but the ride is much better and I still have plenty of grip in 1st and 2nd, especially with the taller sidewall and lower pressure (for me around 31 psi on my 1609 load rated 245/40s vs 37 psi on our 1389 load rated 225/40s)

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I can't comment on wear as I haven't/didn't have either long enough. However, I did have the continetal extreme contact. My retailer was kind enough to allow me to return them. I'm now on the PSS and yes it was worth the price difference IMO.

It was not your retailer's kindness it's actually Continental's return policy.

Yes PSS are a better choice but there are cons as well, it comes down to what you need them to do. PSS better grip faster wear stiffer ride just a bit not horrible, Contis better ride, better wet performance softer sidewalls

For my needs Continentals are perfect.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Actually, these tyres are not in the same category, so the pros and cons you are reffering to ,my fellow forum members, are just the pros and cons of a performance tyre vs a commuting tyre with a little "sporty" feel injected. If you were to compare MPSS, you should with Contisportcontact 5P, or the new MPS4S with ContiSportContact 6. As you realise, comparing the above tyres, the price difference would be minimal, if any.
So, to get back on topic, the buyer should carefully select what he wishes out of his tyre. I also want to add that Contis usually don't last long (because the sidewall is softer, but at the same time comfier but not as "talkative" in the corners). At the end of the day, the tyres are consumables, the next time you'll have better experience and chose a better suited tyre to your needs.