GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover setup questions for mk7 GTI *Ohlins R&T *

Bruce3661

Car(s)
GTI mk7.5
Hello, I have just installed my new Mu21s1 ohlins set for my mk7 GTI. I like the stance (~15mm lower) but having problem with settings.
so I have played around with a couple settings from F/R: 7/7 (stiffer) to F/R: 18/18 (softer)
I found 18/18 to be quite bouncy in wavy roads . 8/8 seems better but still see some bounciness.

what do you guys recommend to set at? I am starting to think it is due to the spring rate 70n/mm, and need a stiff damping to accommodate that. but isn/t 8/8 enough?
anyways I am very satisfied with what it performs during coring and how it improves traction. just quite confused of how to reduce the bounciness while going over bumps.
What I mean by "bounciness" is like this:
Untitled.png

The Red line is OEM: too soft but damped.
The Blue line is Ohlins at 18/18 (almost full soft): good support but seems like too much overshoot and bounciness
The Black line is Ohlins at 8/8 (winding road setting): very good support, less bounce amplitude, but frequency of bounciness is probably a bit higher (i might be wrong)

That's just the butt dyno that I had with those settings. any recommendation for the setup? Thanks in advance!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hello, I have just installed my new Mu21s1 ohlins set for my mk7 GTI. I like the stance (~15mm lower) but having problem with settings.
so I have played around with a couple settings from F/R: 7/7 (stiffer) to F/R: 18/18 (softer)
I found 18/18 to be quite bouncy in wavy roads . 8/8 seems better but still see some bounciness.

what do you guys recommend to set at? I am starting to think it is due to the spring rate 70n/mm, and need a stiff damping to accommodate that. but isn/t 8/8 enough?
anyways I am very satisfied with what it performs during coring and how it improves traction. just quite confused of how to reduce the bounciness while going over bumps.
What I mean by "bounciness" is like this:
View attachment 259129
The Red line is OEM: too soft but damped.
The Blue line is Ohlins at 18/18 (almost full soft): good support but seems like too much overshoot and bounciness
The Black line is Ohlins at 8/8 (winding road setting): very good support, less bounce amplitude, but frequency of bounciness is probably a bit higher (i might be wrong)

That's just the butt dyno that I had with those settings. any recommendation for the setup? Thanks in advance!
okay, I’ll bite

In simple terms you are experiencing incompatible hz of your front and rear suspension.

You should do that graph separating the front and rear suspension and you would see the mismatch that is causing your discomfort.

For racing I run 400 front (70n/mm) and 650 rear (114n/mm) rear.

What this does is allow the rear to catch up to the front suspension over bumps, and then with the correct rebound setting, settles quickly. A buddy rode in my car and said the suspension was taught, but not uncomfortable.

For the rebound, I run rather low rebound, probably around the 20 range pretty much 100% of the time. I never change it, because rebound is determined by the un-sprung weight of the car and does not change unless you make big weight changes.

In the off-season I run OEM front springs and 400 rears. Same effect, softer rates.

Last edited:

Bruce3661

Car(s)
GTI mk7.5
okay, I’ll bite

In simple terms you are experiencing incompatible hz of your front and rear suspension.

You should do that graph separating the front and rear suspension and you would see the mismatch that is causing your discomfort.

For racing I run 400 front (70n/mm) and 650 rear (114n/mm) rear.

What this does is allow the rear to catch up to the front suspension over bumps, and then with the correct rebound setting, settles quickly. A buddy rode in my car and said the suspension was taught, but not uncomfortable.

For the rebound, I run rather low rebound, probably around the 20 range pretty much 100% of the time. I never change it, because rebound is determined by the un-sprung weight of the car and does not change unless you make big weight changes.

In the off-season I run OEM front springs and 400 rears. Same effect, softer rates.
Thanks for your quick reply! probably I counted it wrongly and I found my wheels are all bent (shocked when when my mechanic put them at the balancer)
how shocked it was that I have total of 18 1/4oz weights on one of the worst wheel! no visible bent at all though..

so I swapped those bent wheels with something better and tested it out.
I have carefully count the clicks again to 8 clicks all around. I feel like setting it "stiffer" is making ohlins perform more naturally.

with the wheels and correct clicks sorted out. looks like it is more smoother now. some roads are just have wavy pavement that I have never experienced much until I get the stiffer suspension.
probably going to get a set of 18 inch next year instead of the bent 19 pretorias.