GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch feels funny.... opinions before I tune

Wiredin

Ready to race!
I got my 2017 Golf R end of November, I've put on 4000km since purchase (now has 76,000km on it) and I've always felt the clutch felt pretty light. Especially compared to my wives 2007 Jetta GLI. But it felt pretty similar to my 2019 GLI that left so I could get the R. However the more I drive it I keep felling that its spongy. I've never had a car long enough for the clutch to go on me, aside from my 2008 where the pressure plate failed (3 cracks in it when it came apart). The feeling is if I'm quick shifting the pedal feels like it sticks at the top of the pedal return. it doesn't stick to or near the floor, it's that last inch of movement it feels like it pauses before fully releasing.

I'm getting ready to throw my JB4 on along with an APR intake and Remus resonator delete. But I want to take care of any current issues before I do so. With all I've read about crank walk I'm overly paranoid.

Wiredin

Ready to race!
With that mileage and now you're going to tune I would just get a new aftermarket clutch.

with the crank walk issues I'm wondering that even with tuning that I would want to stay with the stock clutch so as the weak point is still the clutch and I'm not going to potentially blow a motor. I'm super paranoid of the crank issues....

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Crank walk isn't as common as the forum horror stories make it seem.

The site has a ton of members but even more people who never post, the stories represent a small fraction of actual users.

Just throw on the piggyback. If the clutch is on its way out maybe it'll go quick, maybe it'll hold for awhile depending on your driving style. I wouldn't worry about the engine failing, with good fuel and enough of it that isn't going to happen unless you're cursed.

Wiredin

Ready to race!
Crank walk isn't as common as the forum horror stories make it seem.

The site has a ton of members but even more people who never post, the stories represent a small fraction of actual users.

Just throw on the piggyback. If the clutch is on its way out maybe it'll go quick, maybe it'll hold for awhile depending on your driving style. I wouldn't worry about the engine failing, with good fuel and enough of it that isn't going to happen unless you're cursed.

thats what I was thinking too. I worked at VW during the BPY engine cam shaft follower failure issues and only had 3 go on me the entire time I worked there (2006-2011) and my GLI when I sold it still had the original follower with very minimal wear at 130,000km. so I assumed the thrust bearing concern might be as badly blown out as this...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Your description of the pedal “sticking” at the very top of pedal travel (the bite point) is consistent with the clutch fluid restrictor having never been removed. Look up clutch delay valve delete. Can DIY for free sans replacement brake fluid, or replace the block itself with one of the several replacement parts (I’ve had the ECS bleeder on both of my manual MK7’s)

Wiredin

Ready to race!
going to do the clutch delay valve, the intake, and the JB4 today I think. see how it goes. eventually I want to swap the AEM intake I have for an APR one, but I'm only doing it for the noise today lol

next is deciding on the Remus vs CTS resonator delete. they are both the same price, but the Remus is easier for me to get locally.

I have the remainder of the decals I want from badgeskin in the mail....

so all that's left for me to do after this is decide if I want to fix the pretorias that came with my car or buy the Passat R line 19" rims.

Attachments

• 2020-volkswagen-passat_100744194_m.jpg
    2020-volkswagen-passat_100744194_m.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 73

Wiredin

Ready to race!
clutch bleeder removed, holy crap that made a difference! Feels much better. much more engaging. however, while putting the JB4 and intake on I noticed a nasty coolant leak. didn't hook up the JB4 afterall and left it at the dealer this morning for some love.

Wiredin

Ready to race!
Thermostat leak? Now unlike crack walk.... that one really is as common as it made seem.
VW shop foreman seems to think water pump when I texted him last night. my guy at my shop (ford) thinks thermostat. I guess we will find out soon. oil pan was just soaked in coolant. was only slightly below min on the degas bottle tho.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
VW shop foreman seems to think water pump when I texted him last night. my guy at my shop (ford) thinks thermostat. I guess we will find out soon. oil pan was just soaked in coolant. was only slightly below min on the degas bottle tho.
The pumps rarely fail on the mk7, the thermostat housing is the common failure point.