GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking noise in front end...what could it be?

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
My '15 R just passed the 16k mile mark so everything should still be relatively factory fresh, the car does sit on DG springs and has been on these springs for years. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing a metallic sounding clunking noise in the front when going over certain bumps in the road. It almost sounds like someone banging against the shock tower. It seems to be most prevalent when going over bumps followed by an immediate dip (quick compression and rebound). There is no noise over speed bumps, raised bumps in the road or joints in the road.
I did replace the front pads and calipers right before I notice the clunking noise but doubled checked and all caliper bolts are torqued to spec.
Next thing I will check will be the sway bar endlings. Any ideas what it could be?

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
The strut mounts on these cars are a known weakness. They make the clunking noise you describe when they go out. I'd look there first.

I was afraid that someone might say that as I would not be looking forward to all the labor replacing the strut mounts.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Check how freely your brake pads can move up and down. Recently swapped my PP brakes to Brembo stuff.

Noticed a little bit of clunk on front right corner going over quick drops (like deep sitting man hole covers). Clunk got more w/ summer tires on. Interestingly no rattling over cobble stone roads, no clunks on braking from reverse to drive.

Checked the vertical play of the pads = 2.5mm. Sliding by hand I could hear a clunk. The backing plate goes around the pad. W/ a screw driver I was able to bend both ends of the backing plate a little bit. Now it’s quite again in my car.

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
At 16k miles it's not super likely to be wear and tear. What pads/calipers did you put in? Is it possible to install them incorrectly? Like inside pad vs outside pad?

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
At 16k miles it's not super likely to be wear and tear. What pads/calipers did you put in? Is it possible to install them incorrectly? Like inside pad vs outside pad?
Zimmerman rotors and TRW pads (TRW TPC-1633). Changed it as I got tired of washing the wheels after every weekend drive. I'm certain that I installed the pads correctly but will double check this weekend.

fauMkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf R
Update: I threw in the stock pads and the noise went away. I can't believe that pads that don't quite meet the required tolerances can make a clunking noise that sounds like it's from the strut tower; I've never experienced that and have been doing my own brakes for close to 25 years.
I guess the TRW pads are going right back to FCPEuro and I'll be looking into some iSweep pads.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Same here. I’m not quite sure if the aftermarket pads I have used are out of tolerance. To verify unfortunately I don’t have the factory pads any more. Maybe the backing plate material is less sticky, or I cleaned the caliper too good and used too much anti seize?

Last edited: