GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I am using Schroth QuickFit Pro harnesses (product link: link). They connect to the front and rear factory seatbelt connectors and integrate with the factory safety systems. They are the best option for someone who is not going to remove the factory safety systems and replace them with a cage, race seat, 6-point harnesses, etc. This car is going to remain fundamentally a street car and a cage would compromise that use significantly, so I won't be going that route.

Happy new year to you, too.
Did Scroth ever fix this system? Last known was you had to drill out one of the brackets since it didn't fit the OEM bolt it slipped over.

Also if you did want to cage the car, it would not significantly compromise the street car use as it still allows you to have a fully functional back seat. cage

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Did Scroth ever fix this system? Last known was you had to drill out one of the brackets since it didn't fit the OEM bolt it slipped over.

Also if you did want to cage the car, it would not significantly compromise the street car use as it still allows you to have a fully functional back seat. cage
By functional you mean as storage, and surely not for carrying people. Human skulls and steel bars do not mix.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
By functional you mean as storage, and surely not for carrying people. Human skulls and steel bars do not mix.

How often do you ride with 3+ people in your car? it would be perfectly fine even if people were riding along with the placement of those bars.

That's the most pressing concern, plus a half cage would turn my car into a 2-seater. I am not going there with this car.

I'm not sure if you clicked that link but it would still keep it as a 4 seat car.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
How often do you ride with 3+ people in your car? it would be perfectly fine even if people were riding along with the placement of those bars.

You should absolutely NEVER have unhelmeted heads in your car with a roll cage of any sort. That is just blatantly irresponsible to your passengers. One 30mph fender bender and your passengers can end up with traumatic brain injuries.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
It looks like the OE turbo is good for about 60 track days when running APR's stage 1 high torque software. I was out at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago doing track day number 60 for this car. A couple of other drivers noticed a bit of smoke coming from the car. Oil hitting something hot is the probable cause for that. I noticed a very slight oil leak in the last couple of weeks, and I have had to add small amounts of oil to the car in the last 4-5 months, so I left it with the shop this morning to diagnose the source of the leak. The turbo is apparently the source. I am going to stick with the OE turbo for a variety of reasons: cost, reliability, ease of passing smog here in California. FCPEuro has them for a nice price, and their lifetime replacement policy is attractive too.

Sure hope we can get this squared away before my next event a week from Thursday.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
It looks like the OE turbo is good for about 60 track days when running APR's stage 1 high torque software. I was out at Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago doing track day number 60 for this car. A couple of other drivers noticed a bit of smoke coming from the car. Oil hitting something hot is the probable cause for that. I noticed a very slight oil leak in the last couple of weeks, and I have had to add small amounts of oil to the car in the last 4-5 months, so I left it with the shop this morning to diagnose the source of the leak. The turbo is apparently the source. I am going to stick with the OE turbo for a variety of reasons: cost, reliability, ease of passing smog here in California. FCPEuro has them for a nice price, and their lifetime replacement policy is attractive too.

Sure hope we can get this squared away before my next event a week from Thursday.

What part of it has specifically gone bad? Bearing?

My turbo had a good chunk of oil in it when I inspected it yesterday, but I've had a lot of pcv flooding this year, so I'm chalking it up to that. All other data points seem normal and my oil loss isn't huge.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Bummer, sorry to hear it.

Do you do oil sample testing by chance? I'm curious if there's some indicator that it was going.

I've done a half-dozen samples since I've had the car with the latest sent in last month, and no.

Attachments

• Blackstone report 15 GOLF R-200201.jpg
    Blackstone report 15 GOLF R-200201.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Reactions: q74

Navi

Autocross Champion

good to know. Every time I drive my car I'm waiting for the IS38 to pop any second. IS38 russian roulette... who else plays?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

60 track days tuned isn't terrible, that's a lot of abuse. How many miles total?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
60 track days tuned isn't terrible, that's a lot of abuse. How many miles total?

I'm at about 50k miles. I took delivery of this car 5 years ago with that anniversary coming at the end of this month. My car probably has more track time than most, and I am pretty careful about how I maintain it, so it's interesting to discover the point at which things fail.

(and thanks to next day delivery, I should be back on the road Thursday)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
good to know. Every time I drive my car I'm waiting for the IS38 to pop any second. IS38 russian roulette... who else plays?

Just found out today that the bearing seal is going bad on my IS38. 40K miles on the turbo. Just street driven. Hard.