GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choice to make

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2015 PP GTI. Stage 2 power wise now I want to tackle the suspension. I am considering either Ohlins RT or the Bilstein B16 Damptronic. Obviously I know neither option is cheap and is probably overkill for my purposes. Both are similarly priced but with the Ohlins needing the DCC cancellation kit it ends up being more. The car is a daily but I do take her to the twisties. The Ohlins are a dream setup but the B16s do keep the DCC functionality and are rated highly as well. I keep my car in sport suspension constantly and never switch between the others but the B16s might make the difference between the settings more noticeable so I might use it more if that is the case. If you had to choose, which way would you go and why?

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I would look into something like Koni Sports with some nice springs, maybe H&R. I haven't tracked my MK7 yet but I had Koni's on my Mustang and they were awesome for the street and track and they didn't cost an arm and a leg. I feel like going with a 3k option for the street might be more than overkill, but it also wouldn't hurt.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
if I only planned driving on public roads, I would stick with bigger sway bars and some form of camber increase...eurosport top mounts, or something similar. Keep NvH low here.

And tires to match your enthusiasm. For example, 200tw tires like Falken Azenis rt660 will completely change steering response and grip in a good way,.even if you're used to something nice like Michelin PS4. They ride harsher, so you would have to decide on what you're willing to compromise NVH wise.

The author of Autocross to Win prefaces his discussion of tires and suspension with Newton's

F=MA

and though he doesn't explicit say so, F is the force of friction (of your tires), M is your car mass and A is lateral acceleration. Increase lateral acceleration in g's by increasing force of friction...best tires, then alignment and suspension mods that provide the biggest contact patch.

easier said than done, but for the street, you'll make great progress with tires, bars and camber increase.

good luck

Last edited: