GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Checking the engine oil - hot or cold?

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
If I want to get an accurate result on the dip stick, should I check it when the engine is completely cold or when it's warmed up? If I drive a little bit and wait 5 minutes to check the oil, would that give me an accurate result? I only ask because I keep getting conflicted responses. Most people say either way is fine but if that's true then why am I getting completely different results when checking while warm or cold?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
You check your oil when its at operating temperature.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I get the same results hot or cold but the level is easier to read when it is warm. I wait like 10 min after I get home from work and check it then. I have checked it in the am though and its the same but harder to read.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Odd man out here. I have always checked mine when the engine is cold. I pop the hood & check it while I'm doing my pre-flight checks. I also do it when I'm out so sometimes it gets checked at operating temp. I really haven't noticed a difference either way. My car doesn't burn oil, but I still keep an eye on it.

torga

Autocross Champion
I get the same results hot or cold but the level is easier to read when it is warm. I wait like 10 min after I get home from work and check it then. I have checked it in the am though and its the same but harder to read.

This is generally my experience as well. If you're gonna check it warm, big thing is to wait a bit like GolNat said.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I've always done it warm/hot, or if I do it cold I do it after running the motor for 30 seconds or so.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Odd man out here. I have always checked mine when the engine is cold. I pop the hood & check it while I'm doing my pre-flight checks. I also do it when I'm out so sometimes it gets checked at operating temp. I really haven't noticed a difference either way. My car doesn't burn oil, but I still keep an eye on it.

That's how I have always checked my vehicles but never had an issue reading the dip stick until the GTI. So i tried checking it warm and the stick came out a lot cleaner and the line was more pronounced. Maybe because the oil is thinner when it's warm or it's in my head but it seems to give clearer results when it's warm :iono: On the Pilot I check it cold all the time.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
When I pull a dipstick on any car I lay it on a paper towel & look at the witness mark left behind. Just looking at that dark colored dipstick is hard for my oldish eyes.

I guess the take away here is to check the oil. So many people don't, but we all get a check mark here for doing it.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Me personally, I wait til I reach operating temperature (this is depending on your climate as well)
I never check at gas stations because the car has usually been running hard and oil is sloooowly dripping back aaaaand I'm at Costco so no time and it's cold out!!

should also make sure on flat level

zrickety

The Fixer
It should be the same either way, but if you've been running the car wait at least 5 min for everything to drain into the pan. IMO it's better to add a little over full, as we know these cars can have oil starvation on hard turns.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It should be the same either way, but if you've been running the car wait at least 5 min for everything to drain into the pan. IMO it's better to add a little over full, as we know these cars can have oil starvation on hard turns.

Yeah after a while I just started putting the whole 5q bottle in when I do oil changes