GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap eBay downpipe

SnowyLCR

Ready to race!
Have any of you bought one of those knock-out price downpipes for the GTI (~$200) and if so, have you also put a cat to it?

Sent using my fingers

1320GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The rev9 down pipe on eBay kicks ass I have had it for over 10000 miles and not a problem it is 2 piece and I would recommend welding it at the split as mine leaked at the slip joint and I had to bend the hangers a little to get proper alignment to the cat back but the overall fitment was great and I have been more than satisfied it's a pipe with a v band welded to it it's a hard thing to fuck up lol and ther is no need to spend 400$ plus on a pipe

pocketrocket2015

Passed Driver's Ed
The rev9 down pipe on eBay kicks ass I have had it for over 10000 miles and not a problem it is 2 piece and I would recommend welding it at the split as mine leaked at the slip joint and I had to bend the hangers a little to get proper alignment to the cat back but the overall fitment was great and I have been more than satisfied it's a pipe with a v band welded to it it's a hard thing to fuck up lol and ther is no need to spend 400$ plus on a pipe

Did you have to buy the o2 extension separate and did you use the stock vband clamp?

SnowyLCR

Ready to race!
Perfect, would you say that it's possible to weld a cat to the downpipe? If possible it would be an affordable catted downpipe ~$300-350.

Sent using my fingers

Boost3d.GTI

Ready to race!
I have a 3 inch downpipe with high flow cat, less than 2000 miles on it. $300 shipped in US. Circuit Werks brand. Reason selling is because I went with their catless dp :) Quality of the DP is a lot more than what I am asking for it.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Perfect, would you say that it's possible to weld a cat to the downpipe? If possible it would be an affordable catted downpipe ~$300-350.

Sent using my fingers

Based on my own experience, welding a cat into the downpipe is very expensive if you want it done by a reputable muffler shop. I bought a used CTS Turbo Catless downpipe for a steal, at $250 CDN. But I wanted a cat put in, I chose to have one of the top muffler shops in Toronto do the work, by the time it was done, it cost the same as just buying a Catted Downpipe. That is because the cat and the O2 sensor needed to be moved downstream to make it work as the pipe wasn't designed with the cat in the bend.

bdashrad

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 3 inch downpipe with high flow cat, less than 2000 miles on it. $300 shipped in US. Circuit Werks brand. Reason selling is because I went with their catless dp :) Quality of the DP is a lot more than what I am asking for it.

I have the 3" catted Circuit Werks downpipe and it's great.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I have a rev 9 and it is good....the only problem is the vband flange wasn't machined correct so there is a gap between the DP and turbo......

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Any problems with power?

Power gain is going to be the nearly identical between any downpipe of the same diameter. Not even the name brand DP's will try to sell you on higher power gains because they know it isn't true. What matters is the diameter, Catted vs. Catless, and the construction of the piece (No sharp bends etc.).

Based on my own experience, welding a cat into the downpipe is very expensive if you want it done by a reputable muffler shop. I bought a used CTS Turbo Catless downpipe for a steal, at $250 CDN. But I wanted a cat put in, I chose to have one of the top muffler shops in Toronto do the work, by the time it was done, it cost the same as just buying a Catted Downpipe. That is because the cat and the O2 sensor needed to be moved downstream to make it work as the pipe wasn't designed with the cat in the bend.

Even catted downpipes with the 02 sensor downwind will throw a CEL if untuned. 200 Cell Hi-flow cats are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same in effectiveness as the stock cats.

RaysMK7GTI

Ready to race!
Power gain is going to be the nearly identical between any downpipe of the same diameter. Not even the name brand DP's will try to sell you on higher power gains because they know it isn't true. What matters is the diameter, Catted vs. Catless, and the construction of the piece (No sharp bends etc.).

Even catted downpipes with the 02 sensor downwind will throw a CEL if untuned. 200 Cell Hi-flow cats are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same in effectiveness as the stock cats.

Ran my awe which has a 200 cell cat without a tune for almost 2 months with no issues