GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing the steering feel by flashing the EPS ecu

z19930612

Hi guys

Here are some background information about what I am talking about:

With a car quipped with EPS(electric power steering)system, the steer feel can be tuned to make the driver feel more connected to the vehicle, for example Audi A3 and VW Golf both have the same hardware(Bosch dual pinion) but the only difference is the EPS tuning, with Audi, the brand DNA is more smooth and flat feeling, with a VW it’s more natural and connected feeling, for example, if you steer from center to offcenter in a Audi around 60kph you would feel there is not much change in the effort, The offcenter effort is not increased by much when the steering angle is increased, where on a Golf, you could easily feel that the steering gets heavier at bigger angles

Subjuetively, the reason why VW feeling feels more connected and precise is because the torque build up is matching the vehicle response, so when you are working against the torque, the response happens, this feeling makes the car becomes part of your body because the vehicle response is directly linked to your muscle movement, on a Audi usually the response happens when you didn’t really work against anything, which makes the driver feel not very confident on the racetrack, but make people like it for city driving as it feels smooth and effortless

Now my question is, does anyone knows which tool can I use to flash the EPS tuning for a MQB VW vehicle, thanks

amgtorre

Passed Driver's Ed
Changes can be done to the electric steering assistance via vcds or obd11

In my car - 2016 GTI - without the driving profiles my steering was feeling way to soft when driving at 80+kmh, so I changed the steering assistance to the least amount and now it is ok, i think it was one of the adaptation channels but I'm not sure, I'll have to search for it in one of the multiple vcds threads

Maybe I'm not understanding completely what you would like to change that leads you to want to reflash the EPS module

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Hi guys

With a car quipped with EPS(electric power steering)system, the steer feel can be tuned to make the driver feel more connected to the vehicle, for example Audi A3 and VW Golf both have the same hardware(Bosch dual pinion) but the only difference is the EPS tuning, with Audi, the brand DNA is more smooth and flat feeling, with a VW it’s more natural and connected feeling, for example, if you steer from center to offcenter in a Audi around 60kph you would feel there is not much change in the effort, The offcenter effort is not increased by much when the steering angle is increased, where on a Golf, you could easily feel that the steering gets heavier at bigger angles

Subjuetively, the reason why VW feeling feels more connected and precise is because the torque build up is matching the vehicle response, so when you are working against the torque, the response happens, this feeling makes the car becomes part of your body because the vehicle response is directly linked to your muscle movement, on a Audi usually the response happens when you didn’t really work against anything, which makes the driver feel not very confident on the racetrack, but make people like it for city driving as it feels smooth and effortless

Now my question is, does anyone knows which tool can I use to flash the EPS tuning for a MQB VW vehicle, thanks

So your car being a VW is already set up exactly the way you describe being best.... but you want to make it worse? What are you trying to do......?

ODIS is the only tool you can use for flashing modules like that, and it is the factory tool.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I believe i researched this coding as well as I wanted to make the steering tighter and found a thread if i recall that discussed the required coding, however, i remember the posters mentioning that the changes were temporary and would revert when the car was power cycled.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hi guys

VCP can do this for you. Vag Can Pro. There you can flash the settings from an other car.

I believe i researched this coding as well as I wanted to make the steering tighter and found a thread if i recall that discussed the required coding, however, i remember the posters mentioning that the changes were temporary and would revert when the car was power cycled.

If you set steering support by adaptation channels in VCDS, it will be temporary.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
VCP can do this for you. Vag Can Pro. There you can flash the settings from an other car.

If you set steering support by adaptation channels in VCDS, it will be temporary.

So you "borrow" the car you want the programming from and copy it to VCP? How would you know if it's compatible?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
As mentioned before you can use VAG-COM or OBD11 to reduce power assistance to the steering rack, effectively giving a heavier feel to the wheel. However this adaptation will reset every time you turn the car off, so it's not exactly a permanent solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
As mentioned before you can use VAG-COM or OBD11 to reduce power assistance to the steering rack, effectively giving a heavier feel to the wheel. However this adaptation will reset every time you turn the car off, so it's not exactly a permanent solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As mentioned before: With vcp it's a permanent change.

So you "borrow" the car you want the programming from and copy it to VCP? How would you know if it's compatible?
The flash files for other models are available. I'll see if I can get some more details and write a tutorial.

LukeWarm

Car(s)
2019 Golf SE 8 Speed
As mentioned before: With vcp it's a permanent change.

The flash files for other models are available. I'll see if I can get some more details and write a tutorial.
Time for a thread revival, i'd really like to figure out how to do this. I set the "support power" adaptation to 40% and now i'm hooked. It's too bad that it resets every time you cycle the ignition :( Have you managed to make this permanent on VCP? If so, how would I go about doing it? Would it make sense to dump my own firmware and flash it that way to prevent any incompatibilites? Thanks for the help!!

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Time for a thread revival, i'd really like to figure out how to do this. I set the "support power" adaptation to 40% and now i'm hooked. It's too bad that it resets every time you cycle the ignition :( Have you managed to make this permanent on VCP? If so, how would I go about doing it? Would it make sense to dump my own firmware and flash it that way to prevent any incompatibilites? Thanks for the help!!
What kind of Mk7 do you have? A regular Golf or a GTI? If a GTI I can’t imagine anything better than the Sport setting.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
For anyone with the VW VAQ diff who's looking to stiffen up their steering, setting it to the most active mode via VCDS makes the steering feel very noticeably stiffer. When I did it, I'd never driven the car with the steering in anything other than sport, and suddenly I kept going back and forth between 'normal' steering and 'sport' after the change because of how stiff it was but then I started to love it, and have had it back in sport for the last couple years. For the me the change was massive (as was the change in cornering grip. A really great tweak).

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
What kind of Mk7 do you have? A regular Golf or a GTI? If a GTI I can’t imagine anything better than the Sport setting.
I honestly was looking for a way to turn off the sport setting. I felt it made the steering too tight. I know that is for precision but coming from the mk6, it just felt too tight to turn for a pleasant drive. I set it in comfort normal mode with the "CUSTOM" mode and it has been great. Feels very light and I totally prefer that over the tighter "sport" response. Though to each their own of course. It really depends on your own preference with the feedback.