GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing headlight switch to European version

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Another thread here complained about driving in snow with HID Xenon headlights, the ones that come with the Mk7 lighting package. In heavy snow or dense fog even the low beam (dipped) headlights make it difficult to see the road as you creep along trying to avoid guard rails and roadside ditches. In such circumstances, being able to run just fog lights is desirable. Unfortunately, VW provides the ability to only run the fog lights with the headlights on on US models. But there is a solution:

USP Motorsports (and others probably) sells the European heading switch. See http://www.uspmotorsports.com/European-Headlight-Switch-Euroswitch-MK7-GTI.html

There's also a YouTube video on installing the switch See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir...cheAutoParts-YourSourceforEverythingVWandAudi

The switch isn't cheap, but IMHO it's very worthwhile. It's so easy to install that it seems like a no-brainer to make the change. Searching the internet shows that many VW owners have been doing this for years. At least VW has designed the switch to make this easy.

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered mine last week from USP. For some reason USPS shipped the package to Puerto Rico first but it should be here soon. USP has been great on customer service end, they weren't quite sure why USPS sent it there first but assured me we could file a claim if need be and send out a new one. Seems the mail finally get their stuff together. I am looking forward to getting this in!

flygteye

Ready to race!
This was my first mod when I got my GTI. Well worth the $$.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
will the auto selection work if you have the base halogens or are the xenons needed for that? Rear fogs?

Everlast: the prime requirement for the auto mode to work is not the type of lamp, but rather whether the car has a light sensor.

As for your question about whether the fog-lights will work, this depend entirely on how many wires the car has in the loom that plugs into the rotary light switch. This is a 10-Pin connector (it's called "T10h" in VW's material). For the fog-lights to work, the loom in your car will need to have 9 x wires if a light sensor is installed and 8 wires if a light sensor is not installed.

I've included a wiring diagram for the rotary light switch in the pic below. As you can see, the crucial wire for the fog light is PIN-5 (T10h). If this wire is not in your car's loom, then it's all academic (unless you run a new wire)! In addition, if this pin is not populated, it's almost certain that the wires from the Body Control Module (i.e. BMC) to the front and rear fog-ights will also be missing. If anyone wants these circuit diagrams PM.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

supernova_inc

Passed Driver's Ed
Essentially I would think if you do not have the "auto" option currently on your switch then no, the auto function will not work, but all the others should My switch is due in today but I already had auto function with my lamps. I will write up a quick review once I get it in regarding quality etc.

carbongmk7

Ready to race!
wait so this switch will make it so i can run the fog lights without the headlights?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
wait so this switch will make it so i can run the fog lights without the headlights?
If you get it,buy it from Aliexpress I paid 39.99 shipped, the exact same thing no issues whatsoever with the light sensor by the way

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 5,630

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
If you dont AUTO already, the euro switch with the AUTO wont add the feature, and will possibly throw a code if you switch to it (like happened to me). There is a euro switch w/out the auto feature, which is what I should have bought in the first place.

You can retro fit an auto sensor to use with the euro switch with the auto. They make a kit, forgot which company.