GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ceramic Pro

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
I'm thinking about getting my car coated with ceramic at a shop here in SoCal, specifically Ceramic Pro. Anyone here have experience with it? Thoughts on the various packages (bronze, silver, gold, etc.)? Is ceramic coating just a waste of money? This car is my daily, and though it will be garage kept at home (assuming I rearrange the shit in our garage enough to fit it with the wife's Explorer and the gym area), it will spend most days outdoors and uncovered at work. Beyond protection, I'm looking to keep her nice and shiny and make cleaning a bit easier, as I may have to go several weeks at a time before I can wash her properly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ceramic is definitely worth it. No opinion on Ceramic Pro if that's a specific brand name.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I've heard ceramic coatings are more susceptible to water spots because of the hardness of the coating. Might be something to consider.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
Got my car ceramic coated with Ceramic Pro, gold package at Polished Protection in Long Beach (they also have a shop out in Anaheim I believe). My honest opinion - I don't think it's worth it. When I got my car done, sure, it looked great. About a year and a half later, there are pretty bad water spots all over the car (the car wasnt garaged, and was one of the main reasons I went with ceramic coating, as I heard it can help protect the coat). Even during my first wash after getting it coated, it didn't behave like all the advertisements. Water does not "glide right off", and I still had to hit it with a microfiber.

Maybe your experience will be different. For me, it wasn't the right call. It costs alot, takes alot of maintenance (contrary to what people will say), and really forces you to wash the car a certain way (touchless, air dry/blow dry). There are lots of things you have to be wary of - cant wax, cant claybar, not supposed to touch the car during washes, etc, etc.. Maybe you can consider getting it done by a shop that uses a different brand of ceramic coating, I've heard that it can be done for around 500$ or so, which I think is reasonable.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Ceramic pro is one of the most expencive options cause they were one of the early brands to market ceramic coatings…. Like painfully priced.

gold package is the “lifetime” and it requires annual inspections and service… since it’s been a year and a half and you’re dealing with what sounds to be etched on water spots, what was the result of the inspection/ service 6 months ago?

trashb0y

Ready to race!
I didn't go to my inspection because of Covid. I called when my appt was coming up, and my shop said they are extending the period to "whenever you can come in conveniently", so there is no date I have to go in by. The shop itself is pretty good. I told them about my problems and they offered free water spot treatment on my next inspection, so it's just a matter of me bringing it in.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I didn't go to my inspection because of Covid. I called when my appt was coming up, and my shop said they are extending the period to "whenever you can come in conveniently", so there is no date I have to go in by. The shop itself is pretty good. I told them about my problems and they offered free water spot treatment on my next inspection, so it's just a matter of me bringing it in.
Oh that’s good news.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Got my car ceramic coated with Ceramic Pro, gold package at Polished Protection in Long Beach (they also have a shop out in Anaheim I believe). My honest opinion - I don't think it's worth it. When I got my car done, sure, it looked great. About a year and a half later, there are pretty bad water spots all over the car (the car wasnt garaged, and was one of the main reasons I went with ceramic coating, as I heard it can help protect the coat). Even during my first wash after getting it coated, it didn't behave like all the advertisements. Water does not "glide right off", and I still had to hit it with a microfiber.

Maybe your experience will be different. For me, it wasn't the right call. It costs alot, takes alot of maintenance (contrary to what people will say), and really forces you to wash the car a certain way (touchless, air dry/blow dry). There are lots of things you have to be wary of - cant wax, cant claybar, not supposed to touch the car during washes, etc, etc.. Maybe you can consider getting it done by a shop that uses a different brand of ceramic coating, I've heard that it can be done for around 500$ or so, which I think is reasonable.
Sounds like you got scammed by the detailer. I got my car ceramic coated back in October 2019 with a 4 year application and it's been flawless. Water still beads off it and cleaning my car is easy. I have zero water spots and I wash my car no different than before having it ceramic coated. You don't have to wash your car a certain way. I use Car Pro (not affiliated to Ceramic Pro) products when washing my car like Car Pro Reset (shampoo), Iron X, and Reload. Also, you don't need to clay bar your car after getting it ceramic coated. That's for prior to getting it ceramic coated so that it cleans off any dirt or debris that is hard to get off. A good ceramic coating outperforms any wax coating out there, hands down.

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
An update: I got a quote today from a local detailer who seems to know his stuff, but I figured I'd run it by the armchair experts here to tell me what you think.

Bottom line on the quote: he uses Gtechniq and offered either Crystal Serum Light + EXO for $1200 or Crystal Serum Ultra + EXO for $1600 (including prep and paint correction). He said he never applies either CSL or CSU without EXO and that to do so would be a disservice to the customer. Additionally, he said he can do the wheels at $50 each for just the faces or $100 each for the entire things.

Are these decent prices (in SoCal)? What are your thoughts about CSL vs CSU and whether the extra $400 is worth it? He also said that as part of the yearly inspection to maintain the warranty a new coat of EXO would be applied at a cost of $350. 🤔

I haven't even gotten a quote from the Ceramic Pro place yet, but I'm hesitant to do so for a couple of reasons. First: they haven't contacted me yet via phone or e-mail (beyond a canned e-mail response) despite me reaching out to them online. That gives me a bad impression. Second, a lot of what I've read about them indicates that they are marketing company first and foremost with a product inferior to Gtechniq and others.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
An update: I got a quote today from a local detailer who seems to know his stuff, but I figured I'd run it by the armchair experts here to tell me what you think.

Bottom line on the quote: he uses Gtechniq and offered either Crystal Serum Light + EXO for $1200 or Crystal Serum Ultra + EXO for $1600 (including prep and paint correction). He said he never applies either CSL or CSU without EXO and that to do so would be a disservice to the customer. Additionally, he said he can do the wheels at $50 each for just the faces or $1000 each for the entire things.

Are these decent prices (in SoCal)? What are your thoughts about CSL vs CSU and whether the extra $400 is worth it? He also said that as part of the yearly inspection to maintain the warranty a new coat of EXO would be applied at a cost of $350. 🤔

I haven't even gotten a quote from the Ceramic Pro place yet, but I'm hesitant to do so for a couple of reasons. First: they haven't contacted me yet via phone or e-mail (beyond a canned e-mail response) despite me reaching out to them online. That gives me a bad impression. Second, a lot of what I've read about them indicates that they are marketing company first and foremost with a product inferior to Gtechniq and others.
The prices sound like what would be expected except for that wheel face and whole wheel price. In my neck of the woods you get each wheel coated, face and barrel for $50-$100 per wheel.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The prices sound like what would be expected except for that wheel face and whole wheel price. In my neck of the woods you get each wheel coated, face and barrel for $50-$100 per wheel.
Yup that was the only part that threw me off as well… 1200 for the whole car while it’s 1000 for the wheels is wild.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Yup that was the only part that threw me off as well… 1200 for the whole car while it’s 1000 for the wheels is wild.
Yeah. I mean, maybe his wheels are all curbed and banged up and need to be repaired and repainted? Even then I guess it would still just be way too much even after factoring massive repairs and the coating. Seems super abusive, the price for the wheels is shit

I’ve never coated wheels. But I’ve removed and cleaned sti wheels. And those are the worse! Even then I cleaned all 4 wheels and gave each (face and barrel) a coat of ceramic spray in less than 2 hours.

K-Span

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MT DBP
Yeah. I mean, maybe his wheels are all curbed and banged up and need to be repaired and repainted? Even then I guess it would still just be way too much even after factoring massive repairs and the coating. Seems super abusive, the price for the wheels is shit

I’ve never coated wheels. But I’ve removed and cleaned sti wheels. And those are the worse! Even then I cleaned all 4 wheels and gave each (face and barrel) a coat of ceramic spray in less than 2 hours.
That was a typo, gents. $50 per wheel face or $100 per entire wheel, not $1000 😂

Wheels (stock SE trim Pretorias) are brand new. Great shape. 👍