GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CARB Certified DP/Cat?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Exactly. Local news here determined that running emissions testing at the current routine creates 4% more pollutants in the air.

That figures.

I remember being a college student who lives on like $800/semester my catalytic converter went out in my '99 camry and it was like the end of the world. Almost as much as the car to fix.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That figures.

I remember being a college student who lives on like $800/semester my catalytic converter went out in my '99 camry and it was like the end of the world. Almost as much as the car to fix.
I hate that man. It sucks

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
The Altima is stock. It passed emissions. I think they just take it to 10mph

Maybe your car, while a 2009, was built early enough that it actually was 12 years old in the eyes of the state, so it went on the rollers.

Yeah, basically any car built in the last 20 years should easily pass smog. The problem is you have tons of people removing their cats because they think it makes power. It's definitely an F'ed up system, especially since you get a 7 year grace period to do whatever the F you want to a car. There needs to be some sort of check that people haven't pulled their cats completely off their cars tho.

Never understood that, especially since they don't cost you power. I've dynoed several cars back to back with and without cats and they made basically the exact same power/torque. (Within the error of the dyno)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I dont think the consistent under the curve gains across the power band in our cars seen from a DP is just because of DP design, the stock DP definitely robs power to some extent from the cats.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Only logical that a restriction like a catalytic convertor would reduce power.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Only logical that a restriction like a catalytic convertor would reduce power.

Tell that to the dyno. My friends and I have tested this on multiple cars, turbo cars, NA cars, lower HP cars, 700awhp cars, etc. The difference is pretty much always within the errorbility of the dyno.

There's NO reason not to run a 200 cell sport cat.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
We're not talking about catless vs catted - we're talking about OEM DP double cat setup.

SVO

Any of you CO gents know about rules around selling a vehicle? Private party sellers are supposed to provide buyers with a recent passed test: Can that be had via drive-by stations? How?

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
No, you can't get a smog certificate via a drive by test. You have to take the car to Air Care Colorado, have them run the car through and get a certificate that way. You are supposed to give the buyer a smog certificate when they buy the car but many people don't...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Any of you CO gents know about rules around selling a vehicle? Private party sellers are supposed to provide buyers with a recent passed test: Can that be had via drive-by stations? How?
Ive never seen that here in CO tbh. A drive by station probably wont be what is called for. It would probably have to be the smog check on air cares dyno's. Except for awd cars, they don't get dyno smogged anymore.

JWadle

Passed Driver's Ed
As the OP, I see two years of replies here, but still no CARB certified DP for the Mk7/7.5 GTI. I've found that some tuners (e.g. Cobb) have DPs in testing by CARB and claim they should be certified "soon". In the meantime, I've installed a CAI and intercooler (RacingLIne) and am running Cobb Stage 2 (they no longer require a DP for Stage 2).

I'm starting to wonder if a performance DP/cat is really necessary. I'm also considering an IS38 as a next step.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
As the OP, I see two years of replies here, but still no CARB certified DP for the Mk7/7.5 GTI. I've found that some tuners (e.g. Cobb) have DPs in testing by CARB and claim they should be certified "soon". In the meantime, I've installed a CAI and intercooler (RacingLIne) and am running Cobb Stage 2 (they no longer require a DP for Stage 2).

I'm starting to wonder if a performance DP/cat is really necessary. I'm also considering an IS38 as a next step.
You monitoring timing and knock on that tune? Heard very bad things, I can only imagine that pushing "stage 2" with an oem dp is a recipe for disaster.