GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't stop, won't stop - finally my build

Navi

Autocross Champion
Bought a grease gun. Didn't know these existed until my harbor freight jack purchase. Now I'm look for anything with a zerk fitting to grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
What do you mean for upholstery? The fabric seats themselves? Or dash? Or leather? I use woolite diluted with water. When I used to detail cars I would use 8:1 or 6:1. For my own car I use 10:1 because I usually keep my seats pretty clean. Also woolite is pretty concentrated but still a gentle cleaner. For interior pieces such as the dash and center console I use Griot's Interior Detailer. I really like this stuff. Has a nice smell and leaves a nice matte finish. Griot also has an interior cleaner. I haven't tried it yet. Probably will never try it unless someone gives it to me. Woolite diluted down is a very good interior cleaner as well. For doorsills, carpet, fabric/leather seats, anything.. woolite is my go to. Which reminds me, I need to buy some more. My wife keeps stealing it to use on clothes. Why would anyone do such a crazy thing. Take my detergent and use it for its intended purpose. SMH. For leather I use leather honey to condition the leather. Any leather conditioner works well honestly. Zaino leather conditioner has the best scent in my opinion but I feel leather honey works better and leaves the leather softer.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What do you mean for upholstery? The fabric seats themselves? Or dash? Or leather? I use woolite diluted with water. When I used to detail cars I would use 8:1 or 6:1. For my own car I use 10:1 because I usually keep my seats pretty clean. Also woolite is pretty concentrated but still a gentle cleaner. For interior pieces such as the dash and center console I use Griot's Interior Detailer. I really like this stuff. Has a nice smell and leaves a nice matte finish. Griot also has an interior cleaner. I haven't tried it yet. Probably will never try it unless someone gives it to me. Woolite diluted down is a very good interior cleaner as well. For doorsills, carpet, fabric/leather seats, anything.. woolite is my go to. Which reminds me, I need to buy some more. My wife keeps stealing it to use on clothes. Why would anyone do such a crazy thing. Take my detergent and use it for its intended purpose. SMH. For leather I use leather honey to condition the leather. Any leather conditioner works well honestly. Zaino leather conditioner has the best scent in my opinion but I feel leather honey works better and leaves the leather softer.
I meant the fabric seats. The front two are starting to fade, not from the sun, but just from fabric on fabric contact. They are due for a cleaning.

Navi

Autocross Champion
your seats are the oem fabric right? I would just use woolite diluted down 8:1 to get some dirt/skin/oils off and then another wipe down with a damp cloth (only water) to remove the soap. Then air dry. Probably better to do in spring time.

Noktrnl

Some other random stuff:

I recommend this interior detailer. I used to use 1z cockpit premium exclusively but seems they were bought by some other company and the name changed as well as the formulation. At least I've heard the formulation is a little different. Not sure. Either way I started trying our Griot's stuff and have liked everything they offer. Especially their towels.

This is a horrible comparison but I haven't owned a car that I've wanted to detail the inside in over a decade so I'm a little new again to this :p But would this be similar to Armor All without all of the terrible side effects? My dealer completely dunked my car in Armor All and I'm still trying to get rid of it all but am looking for something to tidy up the inside.

Also, thank you for all the help with the vinyl wrapping! We have some Avery on the way!

Navi

Autocross Champion
I hate armor all. I'm not sure if they have changed it since I last used it which was many years ago but that stuff was greasy/oily, dust magnet and super shiny. The griots stuff I use is really good. It says it has UV protection, is not greasy and does not create a shine that blinds you with glare from the sun. Clean the stuff off your dash with woolite dilute 6:1 to get rid of the grease and get back to the oem finish. You can use this griots stuff. Or another one I really like is 303 protectant. That stuff can be shiny sometimes depending how much you put on. You can always let it sit for a bit then wipe it with a clean microfiber towel to kind of level the finish and remove some of the shine, leaving a nice matte/satin finish. I like 303 bc I find it has the best protection from UV rays out of the products I've tried. All the marine guys swear by it for use on their boats that sit in the sun.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
your seats are the oem fabric right? I would just use woolite diluted down 8:1 to get some dirt/skin/oils off and then another wipe down with a damp cloth (only water) to remove the soap. Then air dry. Probably better to do in spring time.

Yep, the regular plaid.

When you use Griot's interior cleaner for whatever it is you are cleaning, do you dilute it as well?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Yep, the regular plaid.

When you use Griot's interior cleaner for whatever it is you are cleaning, do you dilute it as well?

I've never used their interior cleaner, only their interior detailer. If I remember correctly, I don't think it requires diluting.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Well after the AWE track to touring pipe swap, I was getting a weird tinging metal on metal rattle. That's weird because Chris and I torqued everything down and double checked to make sure everything was lined up with adequate clearance. So jacked the car up today and got to use a bunch of new stuff I got recently. These are the new things:

This is the culprit of what was causing the noise. Turns out it was a clamp we didn't even touch. Somehow it worked itself loose and was hitting the brace under the car. Also, the two pipes were not fully seated against each other, causing a slight exhaust leak. Fixed that and torqued it back down. Sound gone, and exhaust is actually quieter since the leak is also gone.

The FCP box is rear rotors, caliper pins, and caliper bolts. I highly recommend FCP. Price was $46 per rotor for OE rotors. Still can't believe I got them so cheap lol. Didn't get around to installing them yet but hopefully this weekend.

Sidenote - love the new jack stands. Not sure why I went with 6 ton over 3 ton but glad I did. They are so robust. I was using Craftsman 3 ton stands for 11-12 years and figured it was time for an upgrade. It was surprisingly hard to find good stands. I contemplated getting harbor freight stands but read some scary stuff about them.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone please Photoshop his car on the road without Jack stands at that ride height. Would look like something from mad max or dakar or something.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Can someone please Photoshop his car on the road without Jack stands at that ride height. Would look like something from mad max or dakar or something.

Please don't :D

I love the dedication of car park builds!

Actually most of the build has been in my parents garage. I don't like to do stuff in the parking garage where I live because there i no cell phone service in case of an emergency and the lighting sucks. Also tenants get pissy when you start doing random shit in "their" garage.