GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can we talk logistics of FCPEuro's "Lifetime Replacement"?

cb1111

Tell that FCPEuro. I believe he's just following their instructions.
How does FCPEuro ship used oil to you? I doubt that they use a USPS flat rate box.

Wait....they don't ship used oil to you - they ship fresh oil, so even if they would ship it USPS, you can't ship it back that way.

I suspect most of their shipping is UPS/FedEx with smaller parts shipped USPS

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Tell that FCPEuro. I believe he's just following their instructions.

No company can authorize you to violate the law. It's on you not to violate the law.

cb1111

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't seem like used oil would be that much more of a contaminate.
I suspect that they ship oil via UPS/FedEX - probably FedEX. For companies, USPS is usually far more expensive than the commercial shippers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I suspect that they ship oil via UPS/FedEX - probably FedEX. For companies, USPS is usually far more expensive than the commercial shippers.

For packages that USPS will ship I've always found them to be the least expensive.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Fixed your post.:)

Think of the mess a bottle of used oil will make if it leaks. Those are the reasons that DOT has hazmat packaging rules, the EPA defines the products and USPS says what can be mailed.

As far as oil analysis is concerned, I recall getting a bottle, a bag and a mailing box from Blackstone to send the sample. That is far different from sending a big jug of used oil in a box not intended for shipping hazmat
per the internets:

"Can you ship motor oil in the mail?
Vehicle motor oil is not considered a hazardous liquid and is technically, non-flammable. USPS does ship vehicle motor oil. However, aerosols must be shipped ground.Oct 20, 2017"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
per the internets:

"Can you ship motor oil in the mail?
Vehicle motor oil is not considered a hazardous liquid and is technically, non-flammable. USPS does ship vehicle motor oil. However, aerosols must be shipped ground.Oct 20, 2017"

I guess that's when you know the answer to that question. Good job.

cb1111

cb1111

And y'all are overlooking the fact that none of here know how these guys ship the fresh oil.

We do know that cramming a bottle of used oil into a fixed rate box is a bad idea.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And y'all are overlooking the fact that none of here know how these guys ship the fresh oil.

We do know that cramming a bottle of used oil into a fixed rate box is a bad idea.

It wouldn't be one bottle it would be 6 quarts. I can't remember how Tigeo said he shipped it but I'm sure it wasn't in a flat rate box. I've gotten oil from Amazon delivered by USPS.

cb1111

For the Liquimoly oil change kits, I use the larger USPS flat rate box, it's $21. It fits perfectly with a little Tetris skill. I put the oil jugs back in the HD plastic bag they come in and zip tie it. You can also chuck in your wiper blades. Anymore than that, and you need a bigger box. You just need to have a strategy to make sure you are maximizing return shipping. I would probably toss in plugs in that box as well. When this topic comes up, someone always can't get why they do this and how they manage to still make money. It's simple. 1) v. few take advantage of it due to the items outlined in this thread and 2) while you are shopping there, you are buying other things like additives for instance that aren't covered or things that will never be replaced in the life of the vehicle ownership (possibly brakes etc.). So in the end, it does cost them something but it's a lot less than folks think AND they make far more than they loose off the secondary effects of a program like this - you don't offer this if you loose money.
There you go....

Although he is using the heavy duty bags (y), but it is still used and not fresh oil.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There you go....

Although he is using the heavy duty bags (y), but it is still used and not fresh oil.

You're right he does use a flat rate box. I honestly don't care though because it would be too much hassle for me and FCPEuro doesn't sell the oil I use anyway. I use Cerma oil.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I just checked my past fcp purchases and they have always shipped oil through FedEx...they shipped spark plugs and other items through USPS

I haven't taken advantage of their lifetime guarantee, but am planning on ordering my clutch through them in the next few days for the guarantee, not sure if it's worth it for oil...also I lose a little oil from some burning off, a little due to using an extractor instead of pulling the drain plug and a little that stays on the walls of the extractor when I'm pouring it back into the bottles, so it's always a little bit short compared to the new oil that I get, not sure if that would matter or how they'd handle that